Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Radiator issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiator issues
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drove my 1990 5.0 50 miles after years and all was good. Now on the way back home it started to run hot.. Really hot to where the needle on the gauge would go up to the N and almost touch the red but would cool back down to normal operating temp. Now it did this a few times. Pulled over opened up radiator and it was half empty with a bunch of rust water in the overflow tank. Refilled radiator and was back on my merry way to getting home and it happens again this time it does the same thing a few times but It officially overheated 10 minutes away from my house and just kept driving all the way home.

Next day I decide to check it out and the car runs ok then when it's time for the thermostat to open the coolant goes down but nothing returns from the engine. Every time it did that I would add water to the radiator to prevent it from overheating and everything would be fine. But again. Time for thermostat to open radiator level would go down and nothing would return from engine?

Any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's only two places lost coolant can go: On the ground or out the tailpipe.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
There's only two places lost coolant can go: On the ground or out the tailpipe.

Or passenger floor board. [Razz]
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
or into the oil, or out of the overflow

--------------------
91' Notch

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
or into the oil, or out of the overflow

This is where I think it's coming out. Oil looked fine last time I checked. Heater core is fine. I think water pump thermostat and radiator need replacing. Any easy way to check for for faulty head gasket before I do all that?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pressure test the cooling system

--------------------
91' Notch

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
pressure test the cooling system

+1
I thought I had a leaking radiator, put the tester on and blew that fucker out. lol. Had to replace it but found the problem. Then a week later, it was my lower intake leaking in the back at the firewall.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Weird. I check it out today. Radiator leaked bad until car warmed up then everything seems to be running fine now no overheating or anything no water disappearing other than the little that leaked out.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com