Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any diesel guys

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any diesel guys
BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 01 f250 7.3 im new to diesels so my ? Is ive had the truck for about a month and its been driving fine then the check engine (ses) light came on after a few weeks of driving code is p1247 low boost but seems theres no loss of power any info would be great truck has no upgrades that I know of except cone filter and ive changed that its new

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check a leak in the turbo piping.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAP or hose to MAP. Bad turbo leak in the system. Or inter-cooler. Check all the connections to see if they are loose and or use SMOKE. Normally the map sensor or the ECM could be the issue

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok thanx ill check all that

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ok so I checked all the rubber couplers to and from the turbo a few clamps were loose so I tightened them and also replaced one now it seems to be fine and boosting at lower rpm thanx for the info

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

Sarge
¯
Member # 11562

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarge  Ford pictures for Sarge  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
<<<< ford tech
the 7.3's are strong ass motors but they use a lot of older tech that's not too efficient making critical failures costly. the biggest thing I can stress with diesels, especially an older one like yours is to make sure you keep up on oil changes especially on top of other maintenance. a big problem the 6.0's had was people being idiots and not keeping proper intervals on their oil changes and that would start causing problems with the fuel injectors and other sub systems. it doesn't help that international didn't do a good job but I digress. KEEP ON THAT OIL!!!!

--------------------
HP 05 Stang GT with *your signiture is too long* worth of mods...
Sincerely, Sarge

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sarge:
<<<< ford tech
the 7.3's are strong ass motors but they use a lot of older tech that's not too efficient making critical failures costly. the biggest thing I can stress with diesels, especially an older one like yours is to make sure you keep up on oil changes especially on top of other maintenance. a big problem the 6.0's had was people being idiots and not keeping proper intervals on their oil changes and that would start causing problems with the fuel injectors and other sub systems. it doesn't help that international didn't do a good job but I digress. KEEP ON THAT OIL!!!!

6.0 problems didn't really start with oil maintence. 6 liter trucks plug the oil cooler on the coolant side then starve the egr cooler for coolant. Crack that then smoke. They also loose head gaskets when the boost is up too high. Cavitation the timing covers. The check ball in the low pressure pump comes out and goes through the low press pump. They loose high pressure oil pumps. Blow the branch tubes out of the oil pump. Loose ficim's. Sometimes loose injectors. Stick the turbo veins from too many short trips. And on and on. They keep me employed
[Big Grin]

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do keep up on the oil changes on the 7.3 tho. When they go too long without service the oil breaks down and foams causing high press oil issues. Careful not to over tighten the cac hose clamps, they will tear the boots. Biggest thing on a 7.3 is it will prob need the air filter cleaned every 5k miles. They plug up easy for some reason and cause the turbo to draw vacuums on the suction side this causes he turbo to suck oil past the oil seal and put it through the cac. The tell tale sign is if the orange tubes going into the heads get oily and greasy looking. This is from the turbo pushing oil through the system. Ooh. And the diesels are very sensitive to dirty air. It takes only 1 tsp of dirt to dust a motor down. Then you will need a motor.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds like you guys are foreign to The 6.0 and 7.3. Reason being is that the 6.0 is a piece of crap plain and simple. From the pump seals to the electronics. And the 7.3 is naturist for lift pump failures and oil pans that rot off the engines. Other than that the 7.3 is not critical on oil change intervals other than factory recommendations. Cam sensor's and frequency valves are another issue on the E engines.The 7.3 is also known for leaks and most often they are related once again to the lift pump. CPR sensors are another issue with the 7.3 but the UP DATED part fixed that. But the 6.0 is the biggest piece of crap ever to come down the pike.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've read of people running 20k on oil changes for their 7.3, they get their oil tested and the lab tells them they are safe to do that

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Depends on how the motor is used really. I've seen some turn into runaway diesels at 20k. 6.4 have a huge problem with all the fuel in the oil from the re gen process. Then cam and lifter problems begin. If you hear a rattle in a 6.4 it's probably got a valve terrain problem. Shit ty thing about it is that the cam is one of the first things to go into those motors

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com