Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 66 289 coupe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 66 289 coupe
Status_B
¯
Member # 13407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Status_B  Ford pictures for Status_B    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm restoring my 1966 289 coupe ND I'm leaning tweard some headman longtubes or some flowtech longtube headers.. both 3 in collector. Which are better? Lmk thanks
Posts: 24 | From: Stockton, Ca | Registered: Jan 2014  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those headers you have listed will hang low and interfere with your steering linkage. I had the headmans on mine and the got quite a few scrapes on the bottom from speed bumps. I would recommend a mid length header.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/pertronix-patriot-mid-length-headers-1-five-eighth-ceramic-coated-289-and-302-1965-1973/p/EXHD13/

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT BUY FLOWTECH headers. They are absolute junk. And like Secnd2nun64 said, both the Hedmans and Flowtechs will hang pretty low, to the point that they'll scrape and get banged up on speed bumps. I've got MAC headers on my '68 and they fit perfect and tuck up under the front sub frame. Tri-Y's are another good header for a 289.

[ 2014-03-03, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some hookers for it, probably fine with just there competition line.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Status_B
¯
Member # 13407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Status_B  Ford pictures for Status_B    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks to all I appreciate it.
Posts: 24 | From: Stockton, Ca | Registered: Jan 2014  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the flow tech's on my cougar... they always seem to be leaking. I would stay away from them

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
DO NOT BUY FLOWTECH headers. They are absolute junk. And like Secnd2nun64 said, both the Hedmans and Flowtechs will hang pretty low, to the point that they'll scrape and get banged up on speed bumps. I've got MAC headers on my '68 and they fit perfect and tuck up under the front sub frame. Tri-Y's are another good header for a 289.

X1,000,000,000 Flowtech are JUNK!!!!!

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
05s197
¯
Member # 13235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 05s197  Ford pictures for 05s197    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont know which ones are on mine but they are tri y's and they interfere with the starter so we had to heat it up and put a dent in them and they have been nothing but trouble. Do all tri y's do this?
Posts: 54 | From: walnut creek/concord | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

mac makes vintage longtubes?
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was going to give JBA a try next time around and how their 1-3/4 LT will fit.
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:

jba seem to be the best fit and quality from what ive seen..

--------------------
91' Notch

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know the stock manifolds fit the best and are tried and true. Especially in that car where it is very tight. Can anyone estimate the HP gain from stock manifolds compared to headers. I am willing to bet not MUCH!!

[ 2014-03-13, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

mac makes vintage longtubes?
Yessir. They fit very nicely too. Not a big fan of them not having a one piece flange, but they still bolt up pretty easy.

http://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-Ford-Mustang-260-289-302-64-70-Chrome-Long-Tube-Headers-TF6466.htm

[ 2014-03-13, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
You know the stock manifolds fit the best and are tried and true. Especially in that car where it is very tight. Can anyone estimate the HP gain from stock manifolds compared to headers. I am willing to bet not MUCH!!

Don't you have a dyno? Why don't you do a header vs cast manifold test to see.

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I changed over to long tubes, my butt dyno estimated about 20 hp and around 35ft lbs of torque. I also noticed the engine was deeper sounding and louder. I switched over to headers because I kept cracking the cast iron stockers right in the middle.

Another option would be 289 HIPO manifolds. They are like a cast iron shorty header.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
quote:

jba seem to be the best fit and quality from what ive seen..
When I looked they were one of the only companies that offered a true 1-3/4 long tube to fit a huge variety of transmissions with the 303/289 platform. A company offering a header for 302-351 in one part number will fit like shit on the short deck motors leaving them hanging too low. If the jba dont fit I'm going to give those macs a shot.

[ 2014-03-13, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:

Don't you have a dyno? Why don't you do a header vs cast manifold test to see.
We did several times. BUT?????? It makes a big difference on some cars and not a hell of a lot on others. Example a stock 375 HP vette made no difference whatsoever because they have good flowing manifolds from the factory. But LS motors respond quite well. The older engines and older header design are hardly worth the effort and time it takes to install them. Example the small fords do not respond to exhaust tuning if carbed because they tend to lean down and those engines do not flow worth a dam.They do make a couple of HP when tuned after but hardly worth talking about. Where as an electronic engine picks up some ponies. Bottom line is most cars or engines with carbs pick up maybe 3-4 RWHP. As modern cars normally see a 8-10% increase with a good exhaust system. Also there seems to be a reduction in modern cars HP numbers when the cats are removed.We always normally leave the cats in place. That is why i asked the question. Normally turbo cars always increase HP when the exhaust is made bigger to a certain extent. Turbo cars have high back pressure from the hot side as we all know. So as so many people think they are picking up tuns of HP from just a manifold change the results are not that rewarding if the vehicle has a good factory system. Normally we see very slight differences in lets say EFI early 5.0 mustangs with factory type headers or shorties as they are called .

[ 2014-03-14, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com