Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Over-torqued Head bolts. What to do now?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Over-torqued Head bolts. What to do now?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So a buddy helped me install the heads on a freshly built stock block 331, & he over-torqued the brand new 7/16" ARP head bolts to 105 lbs. Another friend advised me that they were over-torqued, so we cracked them loose & re-torqued them to 85 across the top & 75 across the bottom. it wasn't until we got to the 2nd cylinder head that we realized that some of the washers were also installed upside down (chamfered side was on the bottom)... Anyhow, so we had to go back & do the other head again. The engine was never fired BTW...

So, here are the questions, are the ARP head bolts any good after being torqued 3 times, & are the brand new Fel Pro 9333PT1 composite head gaskets gonna be any good if they were over-torqued & then backed off to the proper specs? The heads were never taken off the block once installed, we only loosened up the bolts.

I would rather not deal with a head gasket & head bolt issue once the motor is installed, so if they should be replaced, I would like to do so now. But only if necessary...

Thanks in advance.

[ 2014-02-24, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Many people have said you can reuse head gaskets as long as it wasn't fired, but do u really want to find that out rather than spend the $40 now for new ones?

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
Many people have said you can reuse head gaskets as long as it wasn't fired, but do u really want to find that out rather than spend the $40 now for new ones?

Yup, this is very true... Well, what about the bolts?

--------------------

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The studs and nuts should be good but check to see if they stretched a bit but I would replace the head gaskets just to be safe

[ 2014-02-24, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: 79 cobra ]

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:

Arp claims they're reuseable many times over. Maybe contact them directly and ask. Many people have used arp bolts over & over

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:

Arp claims they're reuseable many times over. Maybe contact them directly and ask. Many people have used arp bolts over & over
I will call them tomorrow. Thanks

--------------------

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run it. they only compress down a specific amount. You call the company...if I worked there I tell you to buy another set lol money in my pocket

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
I would run it. they only compress down a specific amount. You call the company...if I worked there I tell you to buy another set lol money in my pocket

Very true about the company saying that. But not too sure about the compressing down a certain amount part?

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done 100lbs with felpro 9333pt1 and 7/16 head studs many times, works for me, Foxlake got me to do that many years ago when I had an O-ringed block.

[ 2014-02-24, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Na man they should be good just do like they told you and check if they been stretch

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

koupe377
¯
Member # 13461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for koupe377  Ford pictures for koupe377    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ARP head bolts are NOT "torque to yield" like the factory ones and can be used over and over again. However, with that said I have used the factory bolts more than once with no problems (ie: blown head gaskets) at all.

As for the head gasket they're fine. There's no reason to buy a new set.

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Thanks for all the info guys.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com