Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rocker Arms.... frustration

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rocker Arms.... frustration
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1991 5.0 Afr 165 smog legal heads. 1.7 crane "Pedestal" mount rockers.

I set the "pre-load" by bringing each piston to TDC, prime the system with a reversable drill, tighten the bolt by hand until the slack is taken up, then a 1/4 turn after that.

The issue I am having is I have some of the bolts back off after startup. I will let it idle for about 1-2 minutes then I can hear some "chatter" from some of the rocker arms. Shut it off and repeat my process on the pistons that the rocker arms are loose on. Start it up, let it idle and it repeats the issue. Same rocker arms. What could be the issue?

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats not how u set preload on a pedestal rocker at all. and when they are set they need to be torqued, u are setting them like a stud mount rocker, hopefull u didnt cause damage to the pedestal mounts or bolts. somebody on here well send u a link on how to properly set and then torque them
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright, so if I back them off, and start over again would this be the proper way? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xM1v1HZ2Wg&feature=youtube_gdata_player. I tried it this way and didn't have much luck for some reason.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like i said. hes adjusting stud mount rockers, u have pedestal mount. so no that is wrong,
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

damn i just re-watched the video... sorry about that.
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

ok, so this sounds more like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8NW0R0kDiY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

again I am sorry if I am wasting any ones time, I just need to get this thing running correctly.

also, keep in mind that all the valve train has been run before with this engine.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never done what that dude in the 2nd vid does. I've always torqued pedestal rockers to spec and drove away.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLWK0LpTc4

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

quote:
Originally posted by Beastly GT500 TVS:
hope this helps

This does. Looks like I'm gonna be starting at square one again..

This is the last, and I mean absolute last time I get pedestal mount rocker arms.

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cemelevu:
quote:
hope this helps

This is the last, and I mean absolute last time I get pedestal mount rocker arms.

There not actually bad. Its just different set up than stud mount. When I had my fox I ran the cran/93 cobra 1.7 rr and they worked great with my stock push rods

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cemelevu:
quote:
hope this helps

There not actually bad. Its just different set up than stud mount. When I had my fox I ran the cran/93 cobra 1.7 rr and they worked great with my stock push rods
Thats exactly what I have. With the e-cam.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In that video it talks about getting different push rods since the heads were shaved, if you already have the push rods and you shaved the heads, you can get a shim kit to make up the difference.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Well the issue of the rocker arms backing off have been solved. Thanks to those that gave suggestions.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

sorry i wasn't much help, its hard for me to explain what i naturally know, and sometime in detail like what your doing, its hard for to explain, , an running a business i dont have much time, but i knew what u showed was wrong and knew somebody that is commuter link savage would help shortly and they did, glad u firgured it out, ounce u got it figured pedestal is easier than anything else.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com