Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » No spark!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: No spark!!
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im having a frustrating time trying to get my car running right so hopefully you guys can help me on this.
So i will detail everything that happened or i've done since i started my h/i swap on my 95 mustang gts 5.0l.

First of all i put a new timing chain, head, intake, and timing cover gaskets,new ford racing lifter and hardened pushrods, i put some used edelbrock heads, with a used cobra intake and left the stock cam and went with 1.7 trickflow stud mount roller rockers. I've worked on enough 5.0 so i did the adjustments on the rockers correctly...
got everything connected like grounds and wires were their suppose to be. I started it up for the first time and it ran fine, idled great!, but the rockers got loose so off came the valve covers and before we took off the valve covers to adjust them again, we cranked the car until we got to tdc but then the tfi module started to smoke and my starter solenoid fried. So i changed the starter and got another tfi module out of another sn95. Tightened up the rockers and put everything back together.

now the problem is the car will crank but it wont start, it acts like it does but it backfires probably from the fuel being ejected. And i checked for spark at coil and its there but not the rest of the spark plugs. Ive replaced the distributor with another one, and got another coil from the same car and nothing. I made sure the distributor isn't 180* degrees off so that not the issue.

if anyone can help id dearly appreciated as i have basically given up.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you try a diff ecu mine did the same and my ecu took a poop on me 150 later car ran that just my two cents
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to try and find one, probably just change the whole harness because I can't find any other differences/problems besides the fried tfi module.

--------------------

93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check fues and relays
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

I looked at the fusible links, and all the fuses in under the hood and dash even replaced some for the hell of it. Good thing the harness is easy to change on these cars, ill change both ecu and harness and make it clean at the sametime.

--------------------

CRS24WILSON
¯
Member # 9979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CRS24WILSON  Ford pictures for CRS24WILSON    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just out of curiosity, if you're getting spark a the coil and not distributor, have you checked resistance on the coil wire?
Posts: 245 | From: SAN JOSE, CA | Registered: May 2010  |  :
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Like the strength? because i checked with both a stock and a msd wire and both haven't been able to distribute the spark.

--------------------

Saleen#222
¯
Member # 13410

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen#222  Ford pictures for Saleen#222    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm taking a guess but.. It kind of sounds like your timing is off, if it cranks then backfires. I could be wrong.

--------------------
2003 Mustang Saleen #222

carajo
¯
Member # 4426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for carajo  Ford pictures for carajo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What he is trying to say is,coil to coil wire has spark going to distributor.coil wire to dist has spark.but dist to sparkplugs there is no spark.

--------------------
06 magnum srt8 6.1
05 f250 lifted
94 gt wait till you see me!

Posts: 1468 | From: hate`n in richmond | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
s/c chp
¯
Member # 9879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for s/c chp  Ford pictures for s/c chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check fire module on the distributor
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When my MSD distributer failed it did the same thing. I put the stock one back in and has been fine since.

--------------------
No half steppin

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

I found the problem, it was the ground battery wire to the block was loose.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com