Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4:10's and spool

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4:10's and spool
85CHP510
¯
Member # 9690

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85CHP510  Ford pictures for 85CHP510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so ive decided i want to go with 410's and a spool. anyone reccomend what brand? also want to upgrade to 31 spline, so iwas thinking of getting a spool from mosier along with the 31 spline axles. anyone on here recomend a place to go get the work done? any where in the bay area? thanks
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Advanced auto in san ramon

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Street driven?????????? SPOOL??????? I would not do that if it was me but what the heck!!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

85CHP510
¯
Member # 9690

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85CHP510  Ford pictures for 85CHP510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Street driven?????????? SPOOL??????? I would not do that if it was me but what the heck!!!

Lol its curently street driven but once I do all my mods it will not be meant to be street driven lol. Rrying to get ready for wednesdays at sonoma
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats your setup? If you need a better diff get a detroit locker. Youll be able to drive on street and have a stong diff for racing. spool for is a reca car thing that only 9 sec and lower cars should have.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

85CHP510
¯
Member # 9690

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
whats your setup? If you need a better diff get a detroit locker. Youll be able to drive on street and have a stong diff for racing. spool for is a reca car thing that only 9 sec and lower cars should have.

347 with tfs 11r heads anderson n41 cam tfs r upper and lower
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you running an auto?

--------------------

85CHP510
¯
Member # 9690

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
Are you running an auto?

5 speed
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

if i were you id just run a 31-spline detroit locker for 8.8.

--------------------

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the short wheelbase of a foxbody wouldn't a Detroit suck on road. It'll pop and unlock jerking the car around corners if not on the gas the whole time. I'd think a spool would be safer. Figure you on the gas with either it acts like a spool and is locked. Tire wear is shitty with both....doesn't matter.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

85CHP510
¯
Member # 9690

quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
With the short wheelbase of a foxbody wouldn't a Detroit suck on road. It'll pop and unlock jerking the car around corners if not on the gas the whole time. I'd think a spool would be safer. Figure you on the gas with either it acts like a spool and is locked. Tire wear is shitty with both....doesn't matter.

totally agree with you...good man wise words
Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my 91gt I have 4.10 gears and Detroit Locker I drive my car every day no problems here [patriot]

--------------------
Krz4rd5

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spool or locker, I wouldn't drive either in a street driven car. I've been in the 4wd community for years and have driven both on the street. its not fun at all.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I gotta spooled rear end on my mach1 not to bad on wear but does chirp tires every turn but then again I dont drive my car that much on the street only to race

--------------------
1993 CHP sold
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 85CHP510:
quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:

totally agree with you...good man wise words
Just for the record a SPOOL never releases i am sure you know that. But do some research they make a 100% sreeetable Detroit!! And better yet the new thorsen units are GREAT.

[ 2014-02-07, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

quote:
Originally posted by MaK_1967v8:
Spool or locker, I wouldn't drive either in a street driven car. I've been in the 4wd community for years and have driven both on the street. its not fun at all.

100% and that is why i never drive any of my specialty cars in bad weather. They make a nice THORSEN gear drive unit that is 100% streetable and takes corners and turns like a champ. Myself with the HP my cars make i have no choice to run a 9" that can handle 2000 HP all day long. But to run a spool or locker on the street that is NOT COOL> Just Me

--------------------

05s197
¯
Member # 13235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 05s197  Ford pictures for 05s197    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 66 mustang with a 302 and c4 trans. I'm also mainly driving to sonoma on wednesdays and around town a bit. Would a detroit locker and 3.73's be good?
Posts: 54 | From: walnut creek/concord | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Nothing wrong with a Detroit. But remember they are very aggressive on turns. They are hard to release and you have to be careful and get used to them. Good luck!!

--------------------

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not an eaton posi unit or a true trac?

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

CalBoy101
¯
Member # 13131

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalBoy101  Ford pictures for CalBoy101    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 31 spline Ford FRPP True Trac's with the carbon fiber clutches, stiffer spring and stronger side gears work well on cars in the 600rwhp range on both the street and the strip and you can't beat the price, less than $250.
Posts: 34 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

quote:
Originally posted by CalBoy101:
The 31 spline Ford FRPP True Trac's with the carbon fiber clutches, stiffer spring and stronger side gears work well on cars in the 600rwhp range on both the street and the strip and you can't beat the price, less than $250.

My mach 1 toasted my ford racing 31 spline posi unit shattered the posi unit into peices didnt like 4500-6000k launches on 28inch slicks only pushing 475rwhp

--------------------
1993 CHP sold
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com