Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with rocker tip alignment

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with rocker tip alignment
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a 302 with Trick Flow 170's and Comp Pro Magnum rockers. I'm trying to torque the guideplates down and am running into some alignment issues on the exhaust rockers. It looks like I need to move the guide plate over 1/16"-1/8" over to get it 100% centered on the valve tip but it won't move any further. Right now the roller is completely on the tip of the valve, but not centered. Is this is an issue or should I be good to go? I posted this over at Corral.net and someone suggest cutting the guideplates in half and welding them after getting them aligned correctly. I'd like to try and avoid doing that if possible because 1. I'm not a good welder and 2. my welder sucks.

Here's a pic from when I measured the pushrod length. I was able to get the pattern right in the middle. The pushrods measured out to 6.750".

-

Bad angle on the pic, but you can see the exhaust (left) valve isn't centered over the tip but the intake (right) is pretty well centered.
 -

The next cylinder over, the rockers are more centered, but still not 100%. They are pretty evenly off-centered more than the pic above.
 -

[ 2014-02-03, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When u go to torque down the plates do you notice that they move just a little as u tighten the first bolt down? U may be need to hold them still/even with a screw driver or tool of some sort (pry bar maybe). This way, they won't spin or move when u torque them down. Just with that little bit that they twist may be what's holding u away from a perfect adjustment.

Just an idea, but if they're Twisted Wedges I think Scorpion makes a set of rockers specifically for those heads. Personally I don't think u need them. I run the same pro-mags on my TW's with no issues. Hope this helps

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have had to weld on the inner guide rail and grind or shape them flat before to fix what your going thru, sometimes ive had to gring on the inner guide rails and then bend the outer guide rails in to move the rockers in a out ward motion before, good on u to notice this is the first time ive ever had anybody check or worry about this issue and its large!!! wear out guides soon type stuff or worse. yours are not that bad as u still have the full tip on vavle so to say, but i personally would correct it, after some gd revolutions everything can shift if you where to check it later and your situation may of got worse.

[ 2014-02-04, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Motors ]

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used these. Adjustable width.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4835-8/overview/make/ford

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
I have used these. Adjustable width.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4835-8/overview/make/ford

+1 I got the same ones on my AFR's.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't weld the two piece guide plates if installed right they are torqued down to 55 foot pounds with loc tire they won't move

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. I ordered a set of the adjustable guideplates. Hopefully they'll work.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com