Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 swap...oil pan clearance issue?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351 swap...oil pan clearance issue?
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am swapping a 351w and once installed my oil pan was into the steering rack. I am using solid mounts and with the engine seated to the rack the driver side mount is good and the passenger is up 1" off the frame.
Can I drop the rack somehow or shim up the frame to motor mounts? Maybe, I'll make some shims with 1/4" plate or just toss the old mounts off the 302...may have been very mounts. Either way I want to keep it low for hood clearance.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Offset rack bushings will help

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steering-offset.html

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or go with a rear sump oil pan.
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 351 swap pan. I swapped motor mounts and still just hits. Apparently my headers won't work either...hit steering shaft. Ill get some different headers and work some magic.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have these motor mounts that lift the motor 1.5in
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62544

20$ bucks there yours

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

That's moving the wrong direction for my goals...but would work if I wanted to change my hood. I'm going to order some Mac headers and go from there.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/K-Member-Spacer-Kit-12-thick-P1268.aspx

Wonder if these would do it for you. Kmember spacers 1/2" thick

Posts: 204 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i notched out the pan to lower the motor as much as possible, minor fab experience required. solid mounts for me was nice because clearance was so tight i didn't want anything to move around, matter of fact a windsor in there will destroy a budget poly mount set, i use the energy suspension mounts, there big, sqaure, and the mounting ears can be cut and lowerd 3/4 of an inch to help with the lower install, and then welding the ears back up with this design is a sinch, awesome strong mounts that will never fail. these and solids is all i will run.

moving the rack down can help but well throw off bump steer settings, but can be corrected with a bumpsteer kit, me just notching the pan i was able to get away with it, on another car i had the upper intake milled 1/4 or 1/2 inch, and sumthing similar to the lower, the port holes where a perfect match and not effected, and in my case clearance to vavle cover or anything else was not a issue. 3 351 installs under my belt for all smog an stock hoods. awesome sleeper could be on a budget fun fast
car.

[ 2014-02-03, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Duncan Motors ]

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Duncan what did you do with headers for the smog? Any with superchargers.
I wish I thought of notching the pan before I dropped it in....was a bitch by myself. Maybe I'll pull the motor with the tranny this time and notch the pan and use my solid mounts. Thanks for the ideas.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
351 swap headers only for a nice fit. if ur motors not that serious the reg ford shorty swap headers are a simple install and fit to stock h pipe or aftermarket 302 base stuff, and they look completely stock to any smog teck, technically no headers are smog legal for the 351 but u can sneak the raw metal,ford looking ones with out issues, now if your running long tubes find or purchase some smog legal headers and carefully swap the carb safe number tag over to the headers u are running, and run cats, cross fingers.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

just did my own with super charger and all smog lol, and water to air intercooler, talk about crammed lol. fit al;l stock hood, had to cut out hood braceing on pass side, and trim top of front intake bolt, solid mounts are a must in mine.
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

right on...im torn on finishing this swap or tossing a stock longblock and selling tis thing off. kinda want another early bronco.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

yeah hundreds of lost hours and dollars not making up my mind before i build something gd luck

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com