Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 87 having crazy idle issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 87 having crazy idle issues
WhiteboyHSM
¯
Member # 9433

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteboyHSM  Ford pictures for WhiteboyHSM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car starts up and will rev from 1000 to 2500 and then almost die I have changed almost everything so I need help I can send you the video of it doing it . PLEASE HELP

Thanks
Dan

--------------------
HIGHSPEED MOTORSPORTS
1987 Mustang 5.0 ( Project MATER ) SOLD
2010 GMC sierra (DD) SOLD
2003 Single Cab Silverado DD

Posts: 188 | From: South City | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dumb question, is the IAC on upside down. When I was slightly younger and slightly dumber I may have done that once and came up with a similar result.....
Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
WhiteboyHSM
¯
Member # 9433

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteboyHSM  Ford pictures for WhiteboyHSM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will check I'm pretty sure it's on correctly thanks.

--------------------
HIGHSPEED MOTORSPORTS

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you set the TPS?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car idles perfect when you start it cold ... After it gets warm that's when the idle starts jumping up and down . It also has a misfire . The car has fresh autolite 24s , new spark plug wires it also looks like a new distibuter and a new msd coil .
WhiteboyHSM
¯
Member # 9433

We didn't set the tps.

--------------------
HIGHSPEED MOTORSPORTS

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this a non mass air car?. You may check the map sensor on the fire wall drivers side, it could be bad.
WhiteboyHSM
¯
Member # 9433

It's a maf car

--------------------
HIGHSPEED MOTORSPORTS

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, well than, if all the other components are working, here is a couple things you can check, vacuum leaks? Or there is that smog tube that runs from head to head, pull it off to see if it's all carboned up, must be free and clear, also underneath the upper and lower intake if stock there is a whole in the center, check to see if carbon has built up. IAC ok? If the TPS is not calobrated right you can have problems, look for the obvious, vacuum leaks, how's the EGR is it all carboned up? The littlest things could cause this. Make sure the rubber hose that comes out underneath the upper intake has no cracks, this hose runs to the charcoal canister. Blow threw it to see if it leaks. My 87 idled up and down too could not figure it out. But when I replaced that hose it went back to normal. May or May not help.
WhiteboyHSM
¯
Member # 9433

Thanks for the info I will look into some of the stuff you mentioned.

--------------------
HIGHSPEED MOTORSPORTS

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com