Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 70mm MAF housing on foxbody

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 70mm MAF housing on foxbody
89GT4ME
¯
Member # 13315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89GT4ME  Ford pictures for 89GT4ME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up a 70mm housing off of a 94 v8 tbird. Bolts right up with no issues.

My question is in regards to the MAF sensors. I put my original sensor in the new housing as i read the one from the tbird will cause issues.

Most posts talk about transferring the housing and sensor from a 94-95 mustang.

Is there ANY added benefit from swapping the MAF sensor or is the added benefit from going 55mm to 70mm?

Thanks in advance.

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know when i did it with my last 5.0 my car started running like crap. that was with both sensors stock and tbird
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try clocking the MAF and see how it runs. Had to do that to my LMAF when I moved it inside the fender.

-Rich

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
89GT4ME
¯
Member # 13315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89GT4ME  Ford pictures for 89GT4ME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry im new to the car and actually working on a ford. i have a 01 bmw 525 that i work on but havent come across the "clocking" terminology.

what do you mean by clocking it?

also, i have had zero issues with my stock e9 MAF on the 70mm housing from the tbird. i was going to go see if i can pick up a MAF from a 94-95 though

thanks again

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've read about this. I just thought you bolted it upright and go. Could someone go into detail on this? I have a CAI that goes in the fender and I hear that calls for clocking the MAF. Thanks

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/607433-70mm-maf-foxbody.html
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89GT4ME:
sorry im new to the car and actually working on a ford. i have a 01 bmw 525 that i work on but havent come across the "clocking" terminology.

what do you mean by clocking it?

also, i have had zero issues with my stock e9 MAF on the 70mm housing from the tbird. i was going to go see if i can pick up a MAF from a 94-95 though

thanks again

if the maf sensor is at the top of the tube aka 120'clock position, rotating it either direction say 1 or 2" to the right, the position of the maf sensor is now offset or at the 1 o'clock position.
My MAF is in the fender straight up & down. with the maf pointing towards the front of the car. Kurgan had to rotate it slightly to the one o'clock, to help get the sensor in the airflow stream, then he completed the tune.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/799424-cleaning-clocking-maf.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/187352-how-many-people-had-clock-rotate-their-maf.html

[ 2013-12-22, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: RAP66 ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
89GT4ME
¯
Member # 13315

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/607433-70mm-maf-foxbody.html

Thank you marks93 for the cross reference in case anyone else has the question in the future. You should have posted this link on the other forum as well.

I got my answer on the other forum and will run stock housing until i find the 94/95 maf sensor calibrated for a 70mm housing. If that gives me any fits then ill just go back to stock.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com