Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.10 gears (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4.10 gears
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saclve  Ford pictures for saclve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking to put some 4.10 gears in my 98 gt vert 5spd. I'm wondering is my best bet getting a full install kit from am.com for $255 or ?? Also how much should I pay to have them installed ...
Posts: 276 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2013  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Advanced auto in san ramon $250 for labor

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saclve  Ford pictures for saclve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 79 cobra:
Advanced auto in san ramon $250 for labor

Thats not bad . Where is san Ramon ? Lol ill map quest it
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally if it is 5 forward i would use a 3.73 final drive. If it is an auto go for the 4.10. Just me

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Personally if it is 5 forward i would use a 3.73 final drive. If it is an auto go for the 4.10. Just me

That was my first plan 3.73 but then all these darn reviews got to me I've heard nothing bad about them but people keep saying go with 4.10. But think I might go with 3.73 if that keeps her highway friendly. It is not my daily driver and plan to make street legal Wednesday now and then so as long as the 3.73 make a big diff ill be happy
SS_Super_Stang
¯
Member # 11510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SS_Super_Stang  Ford pictures for SS_Super_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
410s suck. I hate them in my 94. I'm planning on doin 373s

--------------------
94 cobra

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
only problem with the 4.10's is your top speed and cruising rpm with be high, but the modular need the gear because they have less torque than pushrod motors.

If you just want to cruise and get on it a couple of times - 3.73

If your really into drag, and want to make it fast N/A - 4.10

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

saclve
¯
Member # 13280

Well I would like to be in the mid 13's after full pi swap and gears so .. the 4.10s sound good for strictly street driving and track.. so guess I should go back to original plan of 3.73 will they make a big diff over stock gearing or what should I expect ?
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

Well I would like to be in the mid 13's after full pi swap and gears so .. the 4.10s sound good for strictly street driving and track.. so guess I should go back to original plan of 3.73 will they make a big diff over stock gearing or what should I expect ?
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be in the 13's even with 3.27's but since you have a heavy convertible your better off with 4.10's and it would be a world of difference.

--------------------

saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
You should be in the 13's even with 3.27's but since you have a heavy convertible your better off with 4.10's and it would be a world of difference.

What do you think it would run with 4.10s and exhaust & cai before the swap ? Im thinking mid 14s before mid 13s after ..
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

High 14's low 15's on street tires. 13's when you do the swap.

--------------------

RickRock98
¯
Member # 13242

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RickRock98  Ford pictures for RickRock98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 convertible w/ a full PI swap (long block) w/ full bolt-ons, no tune, running 3.73s. I run 13.6 on drag radials.... so if all you want is mid 13s 3.73s will get you there no problem. After I tune it I'm expecting to drop another tenth of a second (0.1) if not hopefully 2 tenths.
Posts: 13 | From: Central Valley | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by RickRock98:
I have a 98 convertible w/ a full PI swap (long block) w/ full bolt-ons, no tune, running 3.73s. I run 13.6 on drag radials.... so if all you want is mid 13s 3.73s will get you there no problem. After I tune it I'm expecting to drop another tenth of a second (0.1) if not hopefully 2 tenths.

Awsome I plan on doing gears, short shifter, stage 2 clutch, underdrive pulleys, full pi swap. (If not full pi motor swap) . And eventually a tune or maybe a tuner . 13.6 is a decent time for a slow ol 2v mod motor yea im sure you will drop a vouple tenths with a good tune 13.4 is nearly stock terminator/coyote numbers
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U got a covertible......

3.90s or 4.10s ftw

Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by 90 7up lx:
U got a covertible......

3.90s or 4.10s ftw

Yes I have 98 gt vert 5spd , sounds like those are the gears i wan
If im going to be running at track alot . But the 3.73 seem like better all around. 3.90 huh ? Hmm I need to look those up kinda in between

RickRock98
¯
Member # 13242

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RickRock98  Ford pictures for RickRock98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only thing I would chance on my set up and I recommend you do. Is use you original 98 block w/ the PI head swap. It nets you a higher compression. But the bad thing is that it won't pass smog. If you care about that kind of thing. [Smile]
RickRock98
¯
Member # 13242

saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by RickRock98:
The only thing I would chance on my set up and I recommend you do. Is use you original 98 block w/ the PI head swap. It nets you a higher compression. But the bad thing is that it won't pass smog. If you care about that kind of thing. [Smile]

The full pi swap kills the emissions ? Damn that sucks as long as I can get my tags i could care less about all that I am running offroad x pipe but that can easily be switched. I was going to do the pi heads cams and intake around feb-march.. but I can get a lower mile pi motor for about $1k and sell my npi motor for $500 or so
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i havent had a problem driving around with 410s in my fox vert aod, im pretty satisfied with em. as far as advanced auto, if your inquiring about if they do sidework, last i heard he doesnt do it anymore (dan) and thats too bad because he did a great job on mines for an excellent labor price.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do gears. Located in Sacramento

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
saclve
¯
Member # 13280

quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
I do gears. Located in Sacramento

How much do you charge for that ? And i already have your number saved because i will be contacting you late feb early march to do my pi swap
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SS_Super_Stang:
410s suck. I hate them in my 94. I'm planning on doin 373s

You are correct my friend because the early mustangs only have 5 speeders. I normally use 4.10 gears with 6 speeders. Example my WS 6 LTI is turbo charged and i used 3.73 gears in that because of the longer shift times and spool events. But in any of my other LS powered cars i use 4.10 final drives. It depends on the application. 3.73 is a good compromise as i pointed out for 5 forward on a ford that is basically not a revver. If you were talking 6 speeder different animal. But like i said with an auto 4.11 i9s where it is at. They are close and either will be good

[ 2013-12-20, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4:10 and 100 wet shot call it a day

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10s!

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com