Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03 Mach 1 Cooling system woes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03 Mach 1 Cooling system woes
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I've been dealing with a cooling system issue the last couple of days. It started out driving to work, I noticed the heater was still blowing cold after driving approx. 15 mins, and next thing noticed was the temp gauge was 3/4 of the way up. pulled over and filled the overflow as it was low from overflowing.

When I go to work(work for a shop), I decided to look into the thermostat and sure enough it had fell apart into 2 pieces. So replaced it. Still ran hot so decided to replace the radiator as well. Used a Mityvac kit to fill the system up.

The car still would run hot, hooked up a scan tool and it was running around 230+ when it does run hot, the heater blows cold, which tells me there's air in the system, and still spits out coolant out of the overflow when it gets hot.

So, is there a specialized method getting the air out of the system on these motors/cars, I've never really had any problems servicing these cars before, but any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

[ 2013-11-29, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: DSGMach1 ]

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to bleed the system from the colant crossover pipe...top of the motor in front by the shaker..
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so, I can see that my hose routing has been altered, probably before I purchased it. there's no bleeder plug on the crossover pipe, can someone post a pic of what a stock system looks like, please. thanks

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281113325520?lpid=82

Take an allen wrench undo the plug with the front of the
Car at a slight incline it best to fill if needed from here, not the coolant res

[ 2013-12-09, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: 70stang351w ]

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the issue on my boys 99.cobra these motors are a pain to bleed. It took us several times to finally get the air out of system we just opened coolant reservoir and revved to 2k till motor will suck the coolant then will top it off just be patient

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

yellowS281
¯
Member # 11570

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowS281  Ford pictures for yellowS281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what 70stang said. You are supposed to open both the expansion tank (remove the cap) and the allen head plug on the driver side of the crossover.

Once both are open fill the expansion to tank slowly till it is about 1 inch from the top.

Then put the cap back on the expansion tank.
( you are done there)

After putting the cap back on, fill the rest of the cooling system up through the crossover tube...

I usually fill it till it is full, then start the car and keep adding it till it fills up again then throw the Allen plug back on it after about 3-4 min.

After the car has completely heat cycled and re-cooled down, open the crossover back up and top it off,.

at no point after that have the crossover and the expansion tank open at the same time. or it will recreate the air pocket.

Posts: 677 | From: North Idaho | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trick to these is ti open the degas bottle cap then take a heater hose off and stick a funnel in it. Fill it with coolant from there til it flows out of the heater core and the level comes up in the bottle

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com