Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gas gauge sender specs / adjustment?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gas gauge sender specs / adjustment?
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I got my 65 mustang the gas gauge read about 2/3 full when the tank was totally full and about 1/3 full when it was totally empty. I changed the sender first, easier and cheaper. No significant change. I then changed the gauge and the instrument cluster regulator. Now it reads about 3/4 full when it is 100% full. I know this is better than the other way around, but I would like it pretty close to right on. Anybody know the specs on the gauge sender? My old one, which I kept, reads about 4 ohm to about 45 ohms. Anybody got any other ideas about what the problem might be? Thanks.
Posts: 73 | From: stockton, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you using a brass floater or plastic?

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Normally the readings are somewhere around 10 OHMS empty and 90 Ohms full. But did you check the output of the CVR. It must pulse a 5 volt supply to correct;y drive the gauge. I have an old unit in my trailer if i get a chance i will get it and do a reading on it. This is from memory. But read the old units OHMS and compare it to the new one. Normally the sender works or does not work. If memory serves me they were wire wound units and those were really reliable. Hope this helps!!

[ 2013-11-25, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good luck! Mine has about 3/8 of tank left when it says it's on E. I've tried a different sending unit before with no luck. I think it may have something to do with the gauge.
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. voltage regular it brand new electronic and does seem to be putting out 5V and the temp gauge is working completely fine (now). maybe I will just dig a rheostat out of the parts box, hook it into the circuit and see if the gauge deflects fully. if not drain the tank and bend the wire on the float and see if I get better deflection. if I remember right the float on the new unit is brass like the old one, but I would not swear to that.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nothing remade is as gd as the ori, u might just have to bend that rod to your liking.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
nothing remade is as gd as the ori, u might just have to bend that rod to your liking.

That is what we do in certain cases. But having gas when the tank gauge says empty is a good thing in my book!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

I agree, but I think maybe 1/3 of a tank is excessive. 1/8 I would be very happy with indeed.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Tweek the float arm as Duncan posted. Tried and true repair!!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com