Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help passing smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help passing smog
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since I found out my head gaskets were blown I took my engine apart. I'm likely going to throw in a set of edelbrock performer smog legal heads. The car has all the smog equipment, it was just not hooked up. It's got bbk shorty headers and an x pipe with high flow cats. Found out the block was bored .040 over. Car sat for about a year before I bought it, it did not smoke just idled a little low before I took it apart, I'm guessing it was because of the blown head gaskets.

So do you guys think it will pass? Ill clean the smog tubes and change my PVC valve but I feel I can get it I pass. What to hear what you guys think. . Thanks cafords

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GR8WHITE281:
Since I found out my head gaskets were blown I took my engine apart. I'm likely going to throw in a set of edelbrock performer smog legal heads. The car has all the smog equipment, it was just not hooked up. It's got bbk shorty headers and an x pipe with high flow cats. Found out the block was bored .040 over. Car sat for about a year before I bought it, it did not smoke just idled a little low before I took it apart, I'm guessing it was because of the blown head gaskets.

So do you guys think it will pass? Ill clean the smog tubes and change my PVC valve but I feel I can get it I pass. What to hear what you guys think. . Thanks cafords

i had to go through this so ill tell you what i did.1st of all make sure you have everything emission related hooked up and working correctly. egr, vacuum lines, put on the stock h pipe instaed of the high flow one, stock fuel pressure, stock timing, correct octane, cam that is known to pass smog if you have a cam, do an oil change, good plugs etc.Im pretty sure i did more but can remember off the top of my head. This is are the major things though. good luck

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't how picky the smog techs are in your part of Cali, but here in Modesto. Anything aftermarket the Carb EO number must be visible. If it isn't they will fail the visual. Make sute the heads have the Carb EO number stamped on them. Good luck!!

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
I don't how picky the smog techs are in your part of Cali, but here in Modesto. Anything aftermarket the Carb EO number must be visible. If it isn't they will fail the visual. Make sute the heads have the Carb EO number stamped on them. Good luck!!

Charles [patriot]

also, make sure the headers have the Carb EO number on them as well.

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If doesn't havce EO number put it to stock. california smogs techs really anal now about things. To many have gotten fines or gone to jail for stuff.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my completely stock expedition for smog last month. It took the tech 50 minutes to complete bc he checked out everything. He crawled under the truck with a flashlight, looked under the good for a good 10-15 min, etc. he was very thorough with the smog check and this was a stock daily driven SUV with stock everything. Makes me not want to upgrade my muffler on it even if carb stamped.

The funny thing is there was an older camaro coming in with after market exhaust. I over heard the tech ask him if the stock cats were there, and the owner said no, and something to the effect that he had to change them or whatever the tech basically refused service to him for whatever reason.

It's just showing how all these STAR Certified techs are really anal now days.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dam Glad i do not have my shop in California. Those emission laws SUCK BIG TIME!!

[ 2013-11-04, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use a gallon of Lacquer Thinner with 9 gallons of gas. That will clean out the injectors and catalic converters. Drive the car hard.

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How does that clean a CAT??? Or should i say make it work better??

Word of caution. The in tank pump will be eaten up by the lacquer thinner. Years back when gasohol was introduced this happened and any guy running E85 will confirm fuel pumps must be compatible. Not only that as far as i know there is no chemicals that i know of that can replace the elements removed from a cat. Some say oil coating reduces efficiency and it does . But in very few cases and why not just replace the cator cats and call it a day.

[ 2013-11-05, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
I took my completely stock expedition for smog last month. It took the tech 50 minutes to complete bc he checked out everything. He crawled under the truck with a flashlight, looked under the good for a good 10-15 min, etc. he was very thorough with the smog check and this was a stock daily driven SUV with stock everything. Makes me not want to upgrade my muffler on it even if carb stamped.

The funny thing is there was an older camaro coming in with after market exhaust. I over heard the tech ask him if the stock cats were there, and the owner said no, and something to the effect that he had to change them or whatever the tech basically refused service to him for whatever reason.

wow [Eek!]

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:

Where did you go? I wanna make sure I never take any of my cars there.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why would you take your cars anywhere? i thought you were the guy with hook ups. el oh el

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:

Charles [patriot]

You know of a good star station where I can do the smog? I live in Merced county and there's like only one star smog station.

Only thing that would have the carb eo would be the heads. I will be puttin everything stock back on.

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com