Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gears?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gears?
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How hard Is it to do gears? I just got a 99-01 irs and it needs a diff. Was told I can use my stocker but I've never done gears and I want 355s. Thanks in advance

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is complicated and very specialized tools and knowledge are required. But then again you have to start somewhere. Do them with someone with a lot of experience in the assembly and settings.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok how about if I just took my diff from my stock rear end and throw it in? Do I still need to adjust it and whatnot

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's very easy
Posts: 98 | From: RichCityCA. | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ill try it and post as I go

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tryed it and I fu(k up I set the pre load to tight [Big Grin]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is not easy to set up a set of gears. That is why we get them in the shop all the time wining and not set up correctly. Basically you need special tools and procedures as i explained. Pinion preload pinion depth and that is for starters. Then you will need a tun of shims to do the back lash and pinion depth. Easy NOT HAPPENING. Here is just the beginning!!!

-

[ 2013-10-22, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did mine did alot of research and online on the phone help got it done on a weekends its been 3 months of hard racinf launching and no problems yet

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

It depends what you did? Same ratio and what was the specks on the setup?? Gears need like i said specialized tools and things like pinion depth setters etc. I am not saying it is brain surgery just a lot of experience and setup knowledge. Especially if a set of aftermarket gears are used. Just saying!

--------------------

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

So what do you think about just swapping my diff and pinion from my stocker? Like just drop and go and no gear changing? How much would it cost if I brought someone the pumpkin and some gears to put in?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Hard to say as how much it costs. We charge 110 an hour in my shop. Normally a diff runs anywhere from 400-600 bucks for labor depending what you want.

--------------------

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

I have the gears and everything would be stripped down so I would just have everything for bolt on. But if i can just bolt in my stock diff to the pumpkin with no gear changes, would I still need an adjustment?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wht86drop:
I have the gears and everything would be stripped down so I would just have everything for bolt on. But if i can just bolt in my stock diff to the pumpkin with no gear changes, would I still need an adjustment?

Yes because if you are wanting to swap differential internals you have to take out the pinion gear from Ther you would have to buy another shim kit you can not use your old one set yore preload and adjust the clearance between the ring and pinion gear Ther only so much toLerance allowed there I agree with tom renzo I tryed myself and failed there more to it then just slaping on some gears not to descurage you... But hey try it out do some research that's why we are in cafords to help each other out and if all else fails take it to a shop or a pro [patriot]

[ 2013-10-22, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: red5o ]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

quote:
Originally posted by red5o:
quote:
Originally posted by Wht86drop:

Yes because if you are wanting to swap differential internals you have to take out the pinion gear from Ther you would have to buy another shim kit you can not use your old one set yore preload and adjust the clearance between the ring and pinion gear Ther only so much toLerance allowed there I agree with tom renzo I tryed myself and failed there more to it then just slaping on some gears not to descurage you... But hey try it out do some research that's why we are in cafords to help each other out and if all else fails take it to a shop or a pro [patriot]
Ill do some research on it and hopefully it goes well. Thanks for the input

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

86 if you need info just ask. I have built hundreds of axles including the new independent front axles and tuns of swing axles in my day. You will need a press and many other special tools as i posted. Including marking paste. Good luck!!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com