Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Starting issues need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting issues need help
$icInsane
¯
Member # 10068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for $icInsane  Ford pictures for $icInsane    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am having trouble with my 89 stang. I think I am having distributor problems, when I turn on the switch the car sounds like it needs a spark? So I change the coils n cap n cables and no luck. When I took off the old cap it was all black on the tips and the rotor was black 2? So what could it be now? Last thing I haven't change is the distributor and also it's a 306 engine with ported heads and bolts ons. And it has a stock distributor. So time to upgrade rite?

--------------------
49ERZ TILL I DIE!!!!
1989 DROP TOP 306

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had bad distributors cause lack of power when driving and random no starts but never slow start, you can remove the distributor and check if there is a lot of shaft play before you buy another distributor

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try this site. you can search this site for ford specific crank no start conditions.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/no_start_tests/no_start_diagnostic_1.php

there is an article on a cheap and simple test light with an led from radio shack, i did it and found my problem.

this link was also very helpful:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/120806-fuel-injected-mustangs-crank-no-start-checklist.html

[ 2013-10-18, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: cemelevu ]

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just had the same issue check out your starter cable. Mine came apart at the starter and sparked or clicked or a long whining start because of it. And I'm talking the cable from solenoid to starter

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
$icInsane
¯
Member # 10068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for $icInsane  Ford pictures for $icInsane    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info. Is their a way to upload a video here so I can show you guys what the car does?

--------------------
49ERZ TILL I DIE!!!!
1989 DROP TOP 306

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
youtube. so when you turn the key to start it, does it just crank and no start/run?
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First thing is does the engine crank properly? Second if that is the issue do you have proper fuel pressure? And third do you have adequate spark. Check for spark @ the coil wire to ground with at least a 1/4 inch gap. Check the color it should be BLUE not orange. Basically the TFI system can produce quite a wallop and jump a 3/4 inch gap. If you have intermittent spark the Dizzy is your issue most likely. And or a good tune up with good wires and cap and rotor. Remember never let a TFI sysyem fire in the air and the state of tune will determine TFI life. An out of tune engine will kill the TFI module prematurely. Good luck!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

$icInsane
¯
Member # 10068

Yea just crank and no start and no spark in the spark plug

--------------------
49ERZ TILL I DIE!!!!
1989 DROP TOP 306

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DIZZY TIF PIP. Change both.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

DIZZY. I would guess.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com