Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Foxbody VIBRATION!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Foxbody VIBRATION!!!
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just picked up a '90 Gt and it vibrates really bad at high revs. On take off if I accelerate through the rpms on 1st and 2nd everything is fine until I ht 3rd over 3k rpms, then it shakes really bad at the shifter. When I'm on the freeway and I'm in 5th going about 60 mph I give the gas a little tap and I can feel likea clunk , but only when I give the gas pedal a tap. On the freeway sometimes the vibration is really bad and sometimes it dies down a little. I'm going to be checking the car today. I know it's somewhere In the drivetrain because only the transmission vibrates.

I will check u joints, driveshaft, rear wheels, and if everything checks out I might remove the tranny and check the flywheel.

Another note is the guy that had it before me drove the car over a sidewalk, messed up the rear quarter panels a little and the car is lowered , don't know if this can help but I feel like he might of bent something .

Ill keep the thread updated but any help and tips would be appreciated.

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your driveshaft bolts! Bet there loose

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shaft bolts or not seated properly on the flange. Also the U JOINTS. Good luck!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your on the right track....
For me i had the same problem on my 89 gt, i waited to long to fix it.
Rear yoke broke
Seal on tail of tranny started leaking
Transmission mount wore
Then it caused my motor mounts to shake loose and strip.

So check all the above because it was a domino effect for me.

i replaced the tranny mounts and it was good for a few days then started again, it caused my motormounts to fail within a few days.

I got the threads retapped on motor,bought a fms driveshaft w/ yokes, new polyurethane motor and tranny mounts, replaced the seal on tail of tranny and all was good

[ 2013-10-12, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
IH8WNTR
¯
Member # 13212

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for IH8WNTR  Ford pictures for IH8WNTR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar issue not too long ago. I changed out my driveshaft to an aluminum one and now its all good. Runs smoother than ever.
Posts: 29 | From: garlic city | Registered: Oct 2013  |  :
dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive got a similar issue right know im trying to figure out

--------------------
93 5.0 trickflow h/c/i

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driveshaft bolts are tight, u joints look good theres no play. Transmission shifts smooth only pops out of 5th because of the vibration, no grinds.

I did notice something though. Sounds to me like a bad axle. I heard a loud rattling coming from the rear differential. When driving straight i turn to the left and noise gets louder, turn to the right and noise goes away. I thought at first something in the hatch was rattling but its coming from the rear end. There was quite a bit of play in the rear end.

So i feel maybe the passenger side axle is bad and its causing the vibration

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

How could i check if the axle is bad before tearing Apart the rear end?

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have that same problem and I am assuming it my pilot bearing

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your right axle is bent. When you turn right you put pressure on the left and the right is relieved causing no noise. I would say I got some axles for you but my boy already took my 7.5

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

I am going to replace the rear end and change the driveshaft and ill go from there and see what happens. Ill update after I swap the parts in. Thanks cafords.

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd put the rear end on jack stands and put the car in 1st gear and let the wheels roll freely to see if the axel wobbles the rear wheel if so bent axel

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do what 50 reasons said. check before replace.
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
do what 50 reasons said. check before replace.

Will do. Should there be any play if I move the axle in towards the differential, I would put the e brake on and check for play

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
I'd put the rear end on jack stands and put the car in 1st gear and let the wheels roll freely to see if the axel wobbles the rear wheel if so bent axel

Did this and didnt see the wheel wobble.

However while in the air the it would make a clunking noise in the differential. It would go away and then do it again. I can hear it from under the car and from the driver seat. Sounds like loose driveshaft but I already checked all 4 bolts and they are tight

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its your u joints they are bad or your drive shaft is out of balance. replace both. There should be play in the axle shaft. pushing in and pulling out is the difference between the slot in the shaft and c-clip. putting the car on jacks and rolling it wont show a bent axle unless its very bad. have someone drive it and you get on the freeway in another car to see if the wheel is bouncing up and down on the suspected side. Axel dont go bad they break, become bent or strip their teeth.

[ 2013-10-23, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
its your u joints they are bad or your drive shaft is out of balance. replace both. There should be play in the axle shaft. pushing in and pulling out is the difference between the slot in the shaft and c-clip. putting the car on jacks and rolling it wont show a bent axle unless its very bad. have someone drive it and you get on the freeway in another car to see if the wheel is bouncing up and down on the suspected side. Axel dont go bad they break, become bent or strip their teeth.

I feel the axle splines are stripped or something. That's what it sounds like when I drive it.

I will try swapping one of my friends driveshaft with mine and see what it does. Thanks

--------------------
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they were stripped your car would not move or only one wheel would have power making the car pull on one side

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
86 T TOPS
¯
Member # 8855

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86 T TOPS  Ford pictures for 86 T TOPS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 95 had the sme problem took it to a Mufler shop to put in my tail pipes and checked my ds when it was lifted and sure enough there was one bolt missing and another about to fall off they charged me 10 bucks for a bolt and tightned the rest and the vibration is gone !!

--------------------
TTOPNGT

Posts: 704 | From: redwood city | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com