Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » E303 Cam issues or something else?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: E303 Cam issues or something else?
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been considering putting the stock cam back in cause I've been having low vac ever since I put the cam in and it seems to have gotten worse. Here's a video
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu136/WildFire532FB/690E6F13-C679-4D0B-BF70-91123F89A428-348-0000007ED93FD624_zps3255c76a.mp4

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

CalBoy101
¯
Member # 13131

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalBoy101  Ford pictures for CalBoy101    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not familiar with what the vacuum should be for that cam but you reading looks way low to me.

Look for vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner around on potential leak spots in the engine compartment while its running and listen for an RPM change.

How's the car running? If its not running strong the cam timing might be off, which would hurt the vacuum.

The vacuum shouldn't be getting lower over time, that's a sign something funky is going on. If you have a test gauge, pop it on and compare it to the gauge readout to make sure the gauge isn't flaking out.

[ 2013-10-10, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: CalBoy101 ]

Posts: 34 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The E cam can be known to have a lower vacuum than stock due to the way the cam is designed. I have seen this mentioned quite a few times some people have good luck and others don't.

Def check for any vac leaks (especially the cruise control diaphragm in the drivers fender)

Good luck bro!

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The E303 cam is very mild and idles good. It makes around 13-15 inches of vacuum and cut on 110 Centers it should make much more vacuum that you are getting. Are you sure the TC is indexed properly. You should have absolutely no issues with that cam making vacuum. Something is definitely wrong!!

[ 2013-10-10, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The highest i have ever seen the cam make is 10inches and that was back when i first installed it. I have replaced almost every vac part on the engine and i have come to to conclusion its the cam because all my problems started when i first installed it.
I would say the motor doesn't run as strong as it did with the stock cam.
The only thing that it COULD be is i have a vac leak in my brake booster cause the brakes SUCK BUT i did replace that a couple of years ago after the cam install and i noticed the crappy vac pressure

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

CalBoy101
¯
Member # 13131

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalBoy101  Ford pictures for CalBoy101    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for a vacuum leak in the brake booster by temporarily disconnecting and plugging the hose to it.

If its not a vacuum leak it sounds like your cam timing could be off, which basically means the cam got installed at the wrong rotation relative to the crankshaft. You need to do a check on this, probably there is a youtube video on how to do this, you'll have to pop off a valve cover so you can get the valve train for the #1 cylinder.

But if the cam timing was off it would be running like shit, how is the car running when you get on it?

[ 2013-10-11, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: CalBoy101 ]

Posts: 34 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

It doesn't seem to be running like shit when i get on it, i've had a lot of weird issues with the motor before though. Is there a way to check the cam timing?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
It doesn't seem to be running like shit when i get on it, i've had a lot of weird issues with the motor before though. Is there a way to check the cam timing?

With the timing cover off and a degree wheel you could degree the cam and make sure it was made to spec. I had heard that some of the alphabet ford cams were not always 100% and installing them dot to dot may not give the best results.

I installed mine dot to dot without using a degree wheel. I unfortunately never measured the amount of vacuum though and now the cars MIA so I cannot help : /

http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/HowToDegreeACam.aspx

I am not 100% sure and maybe someone else can chime in on this... but can't a valve that is not sealing completely cause a loss of vacuum pressure as well due to the compression not holding?

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That cam is most likely off. Reason being i have used that cam on occasion and it is very responsive on the bottom and mid range. This is why it should have great vacuum. The cam is not BIG by no means and good vacuum readings should not be an issue.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Well my dad and John91Coupe think its a vac leak somewhere, and the only place i know of that i can't get a vac reading on or holds vac is the brake booster. It won't hold vac at all.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com