Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam questions b303

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cam questions b303
The_Drivah
¯
Member # 8823

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The_Drivah  Ford pictures for The_Drivah    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have to b303 and am gonna run it with my 1.7 crane rockers. Some say it will be ok some say change the springs, personally I dont know what to do will it work or will and if so what will need to be change... stock bottom end on a 88 coupe?? I just want to swap cams and play, lmk thanks guys

--------------------
Ill drive circles around you.....

Posts: 163 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stock spring will be fine..install them oth and run..

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt run the stock springs in my opinion. Use the springs that are called for on that cam. The last thing you want to do is to go cheap and mess up your engine. I understand that you want to throw it in and have some fun. I had the same thinking as you when I first got my stang, but after thinking about it for a while i decided to do it right.

This should help you,
http://www.roushyatesparts.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/ford_racing_camshafts.pdf

What ever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck. Have fun,

Charles [Big Grin]

[ 2013-09-23, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
seen it done on stock springs 100's of times....it's an old school way to squeeze some HP out of the car....you dont have to change the stock ones

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A set of springs are a 130 BUCKS and an hour to install at best.And while you are at it you can change the stem seals that fail all the time on the 302. The 302 is notorious for having weak springs. They mos likely will work but new ones would be what i would do. I have seen to many broken springs in my career. By the way valve springs actually have a life span. I change mine every 30K as recommended by the supplier.

NOTE if you choose to replace the springs remember to break them in properly!!

-

[ 2013-09-23, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what heads?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
A set of springs are a 130 BUCKS and an hour to install at best.And while you are at it you can change the stem seals that fail all the time on the 302. The 302 is notorious for having weak springs. They mos likely will work but new ones would be what i would do. I have seen to many broken springs in my career. By the way valve springs actually have a life span. I change mine every 30K as recommended by the supplier.

NOTE if you choose to replace the springs remember to break them in properly!!

-

Dang!!!

[ 2013-09-23, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
seen it done on stock springs 100's of times....it's an old school way to squeeze some HP out of the car....you dont have to change the stock ones

Wouldn't it cause valve float if you run stock springs with that cam and 1.7 rockers?

Charles
[patriot]

[ 2013-09-23, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:

Wouldn't it cause valve float if you run stock springs with that cam and 1.7 rockers?

Charles
[patriot]

No...you can [patriot] but really he's not going to run the type of RPM to cause this...the type of cam and valve springs is not the cause of valve float anyways...

i think you need to research a little on what valve float actually is...

[ 2013-09-24, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
quote:
quote:

Charles
[patriot]

No...you can [patriot] but really he's not going to run the type of RPM to cause this...the type of cam and valve springs is not the cause of valve float anyways...

Everyone who I talked to told me not to run this setup because it would cause valve float. One of which was a Ford Certified mechanic. So, when you someone with his credentials tells you this you take it to heart. I just gave him my opinion trying to help out. No one is holding a gun to his.

Like i said, which ever he decides to do
I wish the best of luck to him.

Charles [patriot]

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Charles
[patriot]

Everyone who I talked to told me not to run this setup because it would cause valve float. One of which was a Ford Certified mechanic. So, when you someone with his credentials tells you this you take it to heart. I just gave him my opinion trying to help out. No one is holding a gun to his.

Charles [patriot]

have this mechanic explain valve float to you and how possibly a cam; just above stock, is going to cause float anywhere from 0-5800RPM.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be seen a bone stock 5.0 with just a b cam with gears and slicks take out some ls1 maros , never had a problem with the motor ,just run it

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Charles
[patriot]

Charles [patriot]

have this mechanic explain valve float to you and how possibly a cam; just above stock, is going to cause float anywhere from 0-5800RPM.... [Roll Eyes]
I'm not trying to get into a debate with you Corn oil. I was just passing on what i thought was correct information.

Best of luck!

Charles [patriot]

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok here we go. Valve springs on stock engines are normally not designed to exceed 5000 RPM crank speeds or 2500 cam speeds. Stock springs or for that matter most single springs will loose 20-25% of there effective load in as low as 30,000 miles. This is not an issue with a stock engine as they rarely exceed 5000 RPM or 2500 cam RPM. BUT!!! when you install a bigger cam with more lift and duration the valve events are much more radical than stock. This includes more lift and duration that send the springs in to TRANSIENT VIBRATIONS. Once this happens the lifter if HYDRAULIC will pump up and the valves will FLOAT or better explained come off the seats when they are on the seats!! Remember stock springs run around 70-80 lbs and are somewhere around 170 @ 500 L. Increasing lift duration and valve event will allow the lifter to pump up causing FLOAT. Remember you also have to take in to account the pressure the hydraulic lifter adds to the push back on the springs. That is somewhere around 10-15 Lbs depending on the lifter. So with old springs and a hydraulic cam with old springs you are on a road to a train wreck. I do tuns of 2.3 ford turbo engines and there springs are always way to week in stock condition. Adding a bigger cam and the setup is not going to work. Al;so weak springs are very bad for the exhaust values as they can overheat and burn. If the closed pressure is not sufficient for the cam and spring the valves overheat. Hope this is of some help. CHANGE THE SPRINGS.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

I would highly disagree with this statement!!!!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com