Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SMOG QUESTION, computer reset?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG QUESTION, computer reset?
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rarely drive my 03 cobra, went to smog it and the tech asked if i ever drive this thing, I told him, not really, then says my computer smog points weren't in check, so it failed the functionality part, everything else passed, He told me to drive the car for about 5days so the computer can do its thing, How long does it actually take for the computer to get updated so it will pass the computer reading check part?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All cars are different...basically you have to drive around so that you're computer registers all the monitors some monitors turn on faster the others I would just fill it up and take a little road trip and do some stop a go driveing as well

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We get this issue everyday. What monitors are not complete? If one of them is EVAP then start it up in the morning (cold start) and let it idle for about 10min. Then drive it like a granny under speed limit and no hard acceleration or WOT or anything like that. I would first drive around the city and then hop on the freeway at about 55 60mph. We usually recomend customers to drive like that for about 150 to 200 miles but when I drive i only drive for about 30min. Pm me if you need help

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by red5o:
All cars are different...basically you have to drive around so that you're computer registers all the monitors some monitors turn on faster the others I would just fill it up and take a little road trip and do some stop a go driveing as well

This. From working my experience at working at used car lots, if the battery is disconnected it resets the monitors in the computer. yes all cars are different, with my truck it takes about 15-20 mins of mixed city and highway driving. My 03 mustang, about 30. I have a cheapy scan tool from Oreilly's that I plug in and check occasionally as I drive.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to do a DRIVE CYCLE. Basically your readiness monitors are not set. Did you remove the BATTERY for storage or did the battery DIE most likely YES. Anytime you remove the battery lead your monitors need to be set. Once again this is dun by a drive cycle. The hardest one to set is EVAP. The car must have APP less than 3/4 of a tank and not lower than 1/4 empty. (NEVER FILL THE CAR UP TO SET MONITORS THAT IS INCORRECT).If the tank is FULL EVAP won't set. Normally i do a DRIVE CYCLE on the dyne but most likely you do not have access to one. So driving is your only option. You need to do a combination of driving like stop and go and highway and hard acceleration. One thing you can do is not disconnect the battery when in storage and use a battery tender. Or drive the car for a couple of days before emissions. Do not let the engine idle for any reason as EVAP and EGR does not set or will not set with excessive idling letting it idle is incorrect. And also driving it like a granny is out. You must do a couple of hard accelerations also. Remember any time the battery dies or is disconnected the monitors are set NG or INCOMPLETE and a drive cycle is required. But not when i tune a car!! Do you get what i am talking about!! hope this helps

NOTE naturally if the CELL is lit it is an automatic FAIL but i guess you already know that. I have people come in the shop every day with a cell light on and wanting a test. NOT HAPPENING. Hope this is of some help Thanks

Question does California allow you to have one monitor not set 01 to present or 2 monitors 96 to 2000 model year. Up north we are allowed one for 2001 and above and 2 for 2000 and below, Just curious Thanks

[ 2013-09-12, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
show me the smog report. I have a smog license. I can help you with this situation.
Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
K-ris
¯
Member # 6094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for K-ris  Ford pictures for K-ris    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree, 15 to 30min should be tops unless you have a major problem. You can get an ELM327 BlueTooth adapter and Torque (APP for phone) and it shows you when all your applicable fields pass and are prepared for smog. The combo will run your $20 to $25 and is nice for later use for checking values and codes for any other car that is obdII
Posts: 129 | From: Martinez, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hard acceleration is out for me, i swapped to my catted pipes and the car isnt tuned for the stock H. I did change the battery a while back but RARELY drive the car, I have been driving the car back and forth to work which is about 26miles round trip. Hasn't gone past half throttle while getting on the highway and nothing about 3-3500 rpms. If you wanna see smog report, PM me your cell number and I will shoot you a pic of it. Thanks for all the help so far guys. [patriot]

on edit: just looked at report, FUNCTIONAL CHECK: FAIL only other thing that says fail is next to the MIL

[ 2013-09-13, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so your MIL light is burnt out or missing. Key the car and see if it comes on. If not fix the issue. No CEL is an automatic failure. I assume you mean NO CATS when you are talking CATTED PIPES? If this is a fact you have to have CATS or the monitors will never set. Post the report and i will read it and try to help you. Please advise.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

[ 2013-09-13, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Ok so your MIL light is burnt out or missing. Key the car and see if it comes on. If not fix the issue. No CEL is an automatic failure. I assume you mean NO CATS when you are talking CATTED PIPES? If this is a fact you have to have CATS or the monitors will never set. Post the report and i will read it and try to help you. Please advise.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

I normally run o/r X, i currently have stock H on, the car isnt tuned to run WOT with stock pipes on. I would hope with only 51k miles on the car that the light bulb isnt burnt out.

--------------------

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Like said i need to see the report but if the report says MILL that means the ECM is not seeing it. Having an off road X pipe should not hamper WOT. With or without cats that should not make much difference in tuning at WOT. At this point i am a little confused. Is your car tuned and what type of tune. I tune OBD cars every day and they pass emissions all day long.

[ 2013-09-13, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not your mil that failed you it's your monitors I fail cars like that all the time when I get dealer cars, you just have to drive your car like others have stated, you don't have enough monitors ready for the guy to test it. If your check engine light lights up when you turn the key to the on position and turns off when the engines running then your light is not the problem, just put some miles the car and you will be fine.

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Like said i need to see the report but if the report says MILL that means the ECM is not seeing it. Having an off road X pipe should not hamper WOT. With or without cats that should not make much difference in tuning at WOT. At this point i am a little confused. Is your car tuned and what type of tune. I tune OBD cars every day and they pass emissions all day long.

I beg to differ on a boosted car. My car is tuned and was tuned by AED with a X-calibrator, it was tuned for the o/r X, putting the restrictive stock H-pipe on with 4 cats, will mess with my air fuel ratio at WOT.

--------------------

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
quote:

I beg to differ on a boosted car. My car is tuned and was tuned by AED with a X-calibrator, it was tuned for the o/r X, putting the restrictive stock H-pipe on with 4 cats, will mess with my air fuel ratio at WOT.
why not put your stock tune? or have aed mail you a tune for stock hpipe?
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ok i get it.Cats restrict and degrade HP. Just wondering how that pans out with the new cobra. The last one i tested made 651 on a MUSTANG with all the cats firmly in place. Just a fluke i guess.We actually lost HP when we removed the cats. Been messing with cat exhausts for tuns of years and they are not the enemy people make them out to be. Thanks

[ 2013-09-13, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com