Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How involved is it to install a fuel cell?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How involved is it to install a fuel cell?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm curious how difficult it would be to install a fuel cell. Are there trunk mount ones that just sit in the spare tire well, or do they all require cutting a hole into the trunk and having custom bracing welded to hold the cell in place? Any and all info would be great. This would be for a road race track car setup btw. Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most require cutting the spare tire well out and building/welding a frame to support a cell. Fuel Safe does have fuel cells that replace the stock Mustang gas tank but they are very expensive.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the reply Steve. How much (typically) do shops charge to build a support for a fuel cell?

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How big of cell are you doing? I am having my 5 gallon cell done right now and they are not cutting up my spare tire well, I haven't got the bill yet but it's not going to be that bad.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel safe makes one that is a direct bolt in for a mustang. easy to install.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

-Lee, I'm not exactly sure what size honestly. I'm looking at an AutoX car that has an in-trunk 3 gallon cell but I don't think that would be enough for a 20 min session on a road course with a carb'ed 302. I'd want maybe 10 gallons or so???

-mike, is the one you're talking about a replacement for the stock gas tank or does it mount in the trunk space?

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it the replacement for a stock tank. 20gal.
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The size of the gas tank depends on how often you want to refill the car. With my 300hp motor, I go through about 20 gallons a day (hour & 45 minutes). I have a 20 gallon fuel cell. I start with 18 gallons, run 3 sessions, then put in another 5 gallons typically at lunch break for the last two sessions. I would recommend at least 15 gallons and not more than 22 gallons.

Unless you go with some fancy sump setup, figure you need to have 3-5 gallons in the tank before you starve the engine in higher speed turns.

The direct replacement fuel cells from Fuel Safe are nice but they're $1500 - $2000.

[ 2013-09-08, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem with the fuel safe cell is they will need a bladder replacement later on and that cost as much as getting a new one, what about a glenns performance tank?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

The hard plastic Race Safe and Enduro cells (hopefully) will last longer than the Sportsman bladder.

I had a Sportsman and the bladder started coming apart after 8-9 years (a lot longer than the expiration date). Ethanol and fuel additives ate away the glue at the seams.

I called Fuel Safe and found they changed all the dimensions. A replacement would have to be custom made for $1000.

I went with an Enduro cell and put it in my existing Sportsman can.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Sounds like it'll run in excess of $1000 for a replacement cell and proper mounting. If I do get the car maybe I'll just throw in a stock tank in the mean time.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com