Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Subframe connector install

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Subframe connector install
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91_Bimini_Coupe  Ford pictures for 91_Bimini_Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is my first time installing a pair of subframes on my 91 fox and didn't realize the fuel and brake lines ran right up agains where I am supposed to weld. I'm a little iffy on welding so close to the fuel lines and didn't want to take the fuel lines completely off. Does anyone have any advice on what to do so I don't blow both me or my car up. Thanks cafords.
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
loosen the mounting points on the hard libes and pull them out of the way! dont bend them but get enough clearence to weld

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91_Bimini_Coupe  Ford pictures for 91_Bimini_Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on man ill give that a shot.
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure suspension is loaded while installing sub-frames meaning all 4 tires should be on the ground or roll on lift
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT03Gt:
make sure suspension is loaded while installing sub-frames meaning all 4 tires should be on the ground or roll on lift

You can also set up the jacks properly by putting them under the rear axle and under the front control arms and k member as directed from Griggs [patriot]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sneakyfox90:
quote:

You can also set up the jacks properly by putting them under the rear axle and under the front control arms and k member as directed from Griggs [patriot]
True
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

quote:
quote:
quote:

True
Well shit I already installed the driver side and when I installed it I had the rear supported on the axle housing but the front was supported on part of the frame allowing the wheels to hang freely without the suspension being preloaded. How serious is it? Is this gonna be a problem?
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cut off one end of welds, then lower the car correctly as above instructed anbd see where that bar is, if its close ur lucky. you will notice it shifted, now weld that end in place if its not to crazy off.
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The front jacks need to be under the motor to support the weight to keep the car preloaded

Put them in between the front control arm and k member

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

Damn I didn't think it would be that critical. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

If you let the engine weight hang off the end it will stress the entire body

Doors won't shut the same body lines won't line up

The front wheels can hang just make sure jacks are under the motor

[ 2013-08-28, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

redsaleen
¯
Member # 5565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsaleen  Ford pictures for redsaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher near you when doing this. Dont ask me how i know.... I took my car to a shop recommended on this forum and not only could my car have burned to crisp, the guy doing the work and myself could have been as well.
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

quote:

Well I have my jack stands under the k-member so I'm pretty sure the weight is bein held up right. Thanks for the clarification though. I thought I was going to have to cut an re-weld.
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

I think I'm gonna go the safe and easy route...any of you guys know a shop around the east bay near concord/ Pittsburg that would weld the passanger side in for me.?
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91_Bimini_Coupe:
I think I'm gonna go the safe and easy route...any of you guys know a shop around the east bay near concord/ Pittsburg that would weld the passanger side in for me.?

Blue Chip Muffler in Antioch could probably do it for you.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
quote:

Blue Chip Muffler in Antioch could probably do it for you.
+1 for Donny

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
quote:

Well I have my jack stands under the k-member so I'm pretty sure the weight is bein held up right. Thanks for the clarification though. I thought I was going to have to cut an re-weld.
You have the jacks in the correc position but if you welded the driver side subframe while the front jacks were positioned under the frame then you need to cut the welds off and re weld it now with the jacks under he k member
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

quote:
quote:
quote:

You have the jacks in the correc position but if you welded the driver side subframe while the front jacks were positioned under the frame then you need to cut the welds off and re weld it now with the jacks under he k member
No the jack stands were always under the k member but the shocks and springs were never preloaded like the other guy said. So I guess I'm in the clear.
91_Bimini_Coupe
¯
Member # 11641

Thanks for the tip. Ill check and see if blue chip can help me out.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com