Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » surging idle

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: surging idle
jessdawg5.0
¯
Member # 12815

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessdawg5.0  Ford pictures for jessdawg5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know the most common reason for idle surging my car is an 88gt with new motor with edelbrock 6025 heads cobra upper and lower intake e303 cam if you need more info just let me know thank you in advance
Posts: 64 | From: el sobrante ca | Registered: Apr 2013  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vacuum leak, IAC, fucked up MAF, dirty MAF?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18530 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to do a base idle reset. See the link below:

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

I had to play with mine a few times to get the proper settings. It took all of the surge away though i could still watch the rpm needle move ever so slightly however it stopped the surging BS and was very drivable.

I also had an e-cam (don't let people hate on you for it)

Also if you have the stock Tach do not trust the RPM readings from it. If you have a timing light that tells you RPM's i suggest using it to help.

Oh yea also check that your PCV valve grommet is fully seated. Also make sure the PCV is fully seated too. This can be a huge vacuum leak.

[ 2013-08-16, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: NK2186 ]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would suggest to start by checking for vacuum leaks and then clean the IAC valve, throttle body and MAF sensor (make sure to use throttlebody cleaner and not carb cleaner) if that doen't help, try replacing the IAC valve ($50 part I think). I've never tried the re-learn procedure, but maybe it works? Foxbody's are known for this issue especially after installing an E303 cam, and sometimes you just have to live with it. I have an E303 cam as well and have the same issue, but mine is intermittent. Good luck [patriot]
jessdawg5.0
¯
Member # 12815

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessdawg5.0  Ford pictures for jessdawg5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info guys ima try all of it this weekend if i do have to live with it do you think it will still pass smog?
Posts: 64 | From: el sobrante ca | Registered: Apr 2013  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When it surges, if you tap the gas to about 1500 rpms will go back down?

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go no vac leaks and the TPS is within the voltage range then the problem is a dirty Mass air flow sensor, dirty IAC valve, and also check the salt and pepper connections (Big black and white connectors that join the fuel injection harness to the main harness. These are on the back of the intake.

If all of that checks out resetting the computer and setting the idle should take care of it.

the E303 cam has no overlap so it can be a bitch but i was able to work out the kinks on mine it just would be a little rough on the idle which is why you bring the idle up higher than a stock cam.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have same set up as you and mine had that surge.my maf was jacked.also my computer doesn't like the fenderwell cold air filter.I put on a regular cone filter and a better maf and my idle surge went bye bye.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com