Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car wont turn over

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car wont turn over
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsmcizzle  Ford pictures for mrsmcizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok im having a helluva a problem with getn my stang to turn over. When i try to start it, it does absolutely nothin at first it made a single clicking sound now its not doin anything. The battery is fully charged, the ignition solenoid is new the starter is good, all grounds are secured as well as the ignition harness. Can sumbody give me sum kind of insight please????
Posts: 166 | From: oakland, ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ignition switch or the tumbler start checking that area... That would be my next move if I were you

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you roll the motor over by hand?

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrsmcizzle  Ford pictures for mrsmcizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea i hand spun the motor so if it started i could do the timing.it seems like no power is goin to the starter
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should check the ignition switch. Put a volt meter on the ignition solenoid to see if its getting 12v from the ignition switch when it's in the start position. Also double check for any damaged wires and also check the neutral safety switch. Sounds like you have already covered everything else.
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ok im goin to check it
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want to rule out the switch just try bump starting the engine via the starter solenoid near the coil (fox body).

Remove the rubber slip on plug on the top most terminal and then bridge it with a screwdriver on the power terminal and see if the starter turns over.

You can also leave the key in the on position when you do this and fire her up!

Hopefully your problem is simple! Good luck

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had that "doing nothing while turning the key" problem a while back and my clutch safety switch went south. If yours is a manual transmission, check that too! It is located at the top of the clutch pedal.
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ok this car is pissin me off!!! I bumped the starter soleniod still nothin! The power is there its just not getn to the starter
mrsmcizzle
¯
Member # 9643

Ok how do u check the neutral safety switch?
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just able to wiggle mine around and it worked intermittently, thus replaced it. I'm sure you can put a volt meter to it and see...but it's really hard to get up there with both hands!
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your grounds! Make sure they are all tight and connected. Should be a ground for the fuel harness on the back of the block going to one of the bellhousing bolts and then there should be a main ground going to the side of the block near the oil filter/timing cover area.

If you didn't recently swap motors then most likely this shit is connected...

smack your starter with a hammer (don't break it though) maybe its sticking a bit.

I only say this because the bump start did not work.

Oh and have a couple dudes push start it for you and see if you can get it to fire up! assuming its a 5speed.

Also borrow someone another persons starter solenoid on the firewall and replace yours... sometimes they just stop working.

[ 2013-08-13, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: NK2186 ]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you have the starter tested at a part store? Did you put the volt meter on the switch? How many volts is it getting?
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turn key to on and use a bump starter and see if that works. give me a call 916 912 3493. advice is always free.

[ 2013-08-14, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com