Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help auto tranny

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help auto tranny
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cousin swapped out his auto tranny and it won't turn over it has power at the start solenoid battery and he has fuel I by pass the solenoid and get it to start but then it goes into gear and won't run. You just gas it but won't move. It seems stuff when it moves

[ 2013-07-24, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: 86_on_DD_machs ]

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the year, make and model? Can you be more specific? When it wouldn't start, was starter engaging and not able to turn the motor over? After it got started could you feel engagements in the trans? Did it pull the motor down (lower rpms) or just nothing at all?

[ 2013-07-24, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: 707iiii ]

Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707iiii:
Whats the year, make and model? Can you be more specific? When it wouldn't start, was starter engaging and not able to turn the motor over? After it got started could you feel engagements in the trans? Did it pull the motor down (lower rpms) or just nothing at all?

Ford mustang 1993 2.3 l you turn the key and it doesn't make a sound. The only thing you hear is the fuel pump but if you by pass the solenoid it wil crank and start. Then you put it in reverse and it won't go anywhere you put it in drive it will do the same then after a minute it will start going forward but you feel a restriction

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it a rebuilt or used unit? If used, did you have the pan off to put a filter on it?
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

quote:
Is it a rebuilt or used unit? If used, did you have the pan off to put a filter on it?

Its a used transmission and yes he did

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Did he make sure he put both o rings on the filter? Did the filter kit come with new o rings? There are two different styles of filters and one uses thicker o rings. If thin o rings get put on when it needed thick ones it'll cause weird shit.
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

quote:
Did he make sure he put both o rings on the filter? Did the filter kit come with new o rings? There are two different styles of filters and one uses thicker o rings. If thin o rings get put on when it needed thick ones it'll cause weird shit.

He put both of the new o rings on and they were both thick

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ok, sorry for the game of 20 questions. I just don't like throwing a bunch of wild ass guesses at you because that's not really helpful.

I'm going on the assumption that it's a known working unit, you for sure got the converter in all the way and the fluid level is correct. If you check the fluid level while the car is not running and then start it, does the level drop? Do you guys have (or have access to) a pressure gauge? Also, is it up on jack stands or on the ground?

S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

quote:
Ok, sorry for the game of 20 questions. I just don't like throwing a bunch of wild ass guesses at you because that's not really helpful.

I'm going on the assumption that it's a known working unit, you for sure got the converter in all the way and the fluid level is correct. If you check the fluid level while the car is not running and then start it, does the level drop? Do you guys have (or have access to) a pressure gauge? Also, is it up on jack stands or on the ground?

I figured it out finally my cousin said he put oil in but not enough so I put oil in then that solved the gears going in then I was messing around with the solenoid and it cranked and started it vibrated a little when your in drive is that normal?

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

That's good to hear. Fluid level should always be the first check, I probably shouldn't have assumed. Is the vibration in gear on the brake or when driving? Check that all mounts (motor & trans) are tight and good.
S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

quote:
That's good to hear. Fluid level should always be the first check, I probably shouldn't have assumed. Is the vibration in gear on the brake or when driving? Check that all mounts (motor & trans) are tight and good.

I happens in gear. It idles good though. I'll double check on the mounts

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com