Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » charging problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: charging problems
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats going on guys i just finished my motor swap into a roller i had picked up last year, i got everything working but this charging problem im having. i changed the alt and battery and EVEN had it all checked by autozone, they told me everything checked out fine. the wires are spliced (2 orange and 1 white wire) i patched them up the best i could but i dont think thats the problem, FYI the dash reads very low amps.

any advice would help

--------------------
66 mustang v6 converted to 351w(sold)
89 mustang lx(sold)
88 mustang gt(current DD)

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
year make and model would help.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah im sorry about that its a 88 mustang gt

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have made sure that your positive and negative terminals on the battery are tightened down all the way? They need to be on there very tight.

It could also be there is a connection/wire grounding-out somewhere causing the battery to drain. Go through all the wiring and check for wires that might be making contact with metal.

rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

ok this just dawned on me, when i got the new alt i got the "2 black/orange and white" plug with about 4" of wire off of a 4 banger out at pick n pull because they where the same color wires i didnt think anything of it, could this be my problem and why its not putting anything out?

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rayski25:
ok this just dawned on me, when i got the new alt i got the "2 black/orange and white" plug with about 4" of wire off of a 4 banger out at pick n pull because they where the same color wires i didnt think anything of it, could this be my problem and why its not putting anything out?

Cant say for sure but it is possible. I'd go grab the alt wires from a 5.0 not a banger.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com