Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » A 74 351w bore to a 357 ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: A 74 351w bore to a 357 ???
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys lookin to get some info, someone on the board is selling a 74 357w. Can I legally smog this motor in a fox without going to a smog ref? Is a 74 351w even worth the headache since its none roller? Are they stronger then 94-96 351w blocks? Any info would be greats thanks

--------------------
89 vert gt

Posts: 208 | From: san francisco to antioch | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
4MY8TERS
¯
Member # 7840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4MY8TERS  Ford pictures for 4MY8TERS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't see how they can tell the block is different, snake sure u have all carb parts on with all carb numbers

--------------------
1985 Notchback-393w Vortech
1991 Convert Lx-H/C/I-Vortech
1984 T-Top 306-H/C/I

Posts: 2337 | From: THE GOLDEN CITY AKA SFC | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What year fox are you putting it in?
Posts: 204 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they jam you up, take it to a ref and tell them it's a '95 Cobra R transplant.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking of putting it in my 89 gt vert, is there any way a smog ref can the difference from the year of the block?

--------------------
89 vert gt

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The shortblock I was selling did have a roller cam in it. You can use link bar style lifters or use a spider and dog bone setup with a small base circle cam. It's the best of both worlds, the strength of the older blocks with the variety of roller cam choices. On a side note, I did sell the shortblock this past weekend.

A gear head will be able to tell the difference between a 302 versus a 351w since it does have taller cylinders. But your average smog tech won't know the difference let alone the difference between years.

Contact duncan motors, sacstangdriver, top notch, racrix, turbo50 and Advance Auto (Daniel's shop I can't remember his screen name) can help you put it together as well without any problems. I've personally seen a couple cars from Duncan with 351w and they look stockish and will pass smog.

primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Thanks bro well I guess since u sold it all this info is great for my future build thanks again [patriot]

--------------------
89 vert gt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com