Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 super hard to shift when car on or off

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 super hard to shift when car on or off
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was comming home from work when I notice my shifter getting super hard to shift. once I got home I had to put some muscle to get into the next gear. it takes off no grinding but just trying to shift is the prob
I let my car sit for the rest of the day thinking the trans was prob really hot. Have it a try just now and still hard as hell

I got a ford racing adjustable cable and ford racing aluminum quardent (just installed it like 3 months ago)

Just replaced the fluid prob a month ago

Lmk Cafords thanks

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Throwout bearing!!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He put synchro mesh in it I said flush it twice and pray for the best
Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lxjames just did that and no luck [Frown]
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your clutch prob isint adjusted properly

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bad syncros
Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:
your clutch prob isint adjusted properly

Took off my cable to see if it was my cable and still same prob
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the car clunk when put into gear? What is your procedure for adjusting the clutch cable for freeplay? I believe the clutch is not fully dis-engaged. I have had this problem a few times. I would ditch the adjustable cable and go with an OEM cable and firewall adjuster.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure the jam nut that (protects the clutch fork from becoming bent)on the shifter base didnt come loose and move possibly (the stop bolts on each end of shifter base)
The clutch shouldn't affect the feel of the gearbox when the car is off!
If the car is off and gearbox is not spinning the syncros aren't the problem either!

[ 2013-05-05, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your title says it's hard to shift when the engine is off too, right? If that's the case, the clutch, TO bearing or syncros probably isn't the problem because those only affect the transmission with the engine running and the gears spinning. It's probably a shift fork issue.

[ 2013-05-05, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

So I took of my shifter and I noticed that where the ball sits from the shifter on to the tranny that thing is stuck sideways and can't get it to move I used some muscle and still won't move ill snap a pic later
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it start to engage 1 1/2" off the floor ?

it may just need adjustment

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com