Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » an odd idle issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: an odd idle issue
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUQsSxky8I&feature=share&list=UUbJOc5rzSdTb1i7TEUAk8bQ
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Saw the video. You have me stumped as well. You mentioned that there were some connectors that were not possibly making a good connection. Here is an odd option. Conductive paint. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb92/

Take a look and see if this may help in maximizing the connections of those parts.

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have u replaced the IAC to see if that would cure the idle problem?

What kind of TB do you have?

The idle can be adjusted in small increments from the throttle body..

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The idle air control motor is brand new I have the BBK 70mm throttle body I reset the idle a long time ago and set the TPS to spec
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

I also have another video related to the issue I'm going to post soon that has to do with the flooding
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I say swap the tb but I'm no expert I just know my bbk tb use to do a lot of wierd shit like being a cruise control......after cleaning and all that' stuff went with accufab and my shits been legit since

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unplug the IAC and start the car. Does it still do this?

Does this only happen when cold? Does it happen when hot as well?

Have you tried checking the codes on the engine?

If you really want to get down to it and figure out what is happening try putting a thread on SBF Tech for Joel 5.0

http://sbftech.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:
Hey I say swap the tb but I'm no expert I just know my bbk tb use to do a lot of wierd shit like being a cruise control......after cleaning and all that' stuff went with accufab and my shits been legit since

+1 it's definitely the BBK TB I also put on a brand new 70mm one N it usually just gets stuck on the first start up but at like 1.5k RPM. I'd hate to admit it but I don't listen to this guy well just kuz I'm hard headed but he warned me from BBK N he is right it does get stuck sometimes not bad tho.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

if the blade was getting stuck from gunk letting that extra air in then it wouldn't make sense that turning the key to the off position then back to the on position before my motor dies corrects my issue and the light turns off and it will do it 50% of the time. at a cold start and hot start. However, when I try to start the motor every time its warmed up the motor is flooded and its harder to start
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

and when I unplug the IAC the idle sits around 600 rpm when I set it with the idle screw.
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I never thought mines could act like cruise cotrol even when its cleaned and lubed......I'm jus sayin that the bbk one has been known to cause some issues......I'm no guru of a tech jus seems like u have tryed everything

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I don't understand why they get stuck but they do. Mine still looks new BTW.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My boys car has the same exact issue exept whe you disconnect the tps then it idles normal

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

yea mine does that when I disconnect the TPS. The werd thing is this issue must be very rare otherwise I would've already fixed it before it started
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

heres the flood issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6H8zhaQbJA&list=UUbJOc5rzSdTb1i7TEUAk8bQ&index=1
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard bad things about part store idle air controllers.. Mine is brand new from auto zone and sometimes it acts weird and wontalways high idle on cold starts.

FYI if the car is flooding on start you can hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine. This stops the computer from pumping in additional fuel during start.

I would really suggest running a key on engine running test (koer) directions on sbftech website in Joel 5.0 section. Pick up one of those $20 code scanners for obd1 fords and plug it in then run test... The eec system will let you know whats going on!

--------------------
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

yea thats what I do to start it. When I do that it will start 50% of the time. I just really need to fix this issue the flooding is not good for the catalytic converters. I ran a KOER test and I get a pass code
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you tried to adujst the idle stop screw? Sometimes on the BBK tb and other aftermarket tb's for foxes they wont come properly adjusted thus causing high or low idle problems.

-

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

yea I set the idle to 600rpm with the engine running and the IAC unplugged
dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all you ground wires intact/clean?

--------------------
93 5.0 trickflow h/c/i

Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Warm up the car to operating temperature then turn the engine off and disconnect the negative lead on the battery.

Remove the IAC connector, reinstall negative battery lead and start the car.

Turn the idle screw on the throttle body until you get a nice smooth idle preferably under 1000RPM (really depends on your cam) stock cam you can get around 700 area hard to tell with the stock tach.

Turn car off reconnect IAC and see if problem is still present.

If this still does not fix it look into getting your MAF tested or cleaned to see if that helps. Could be giving off crazy readings

--------------------
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

I'll give that a shot
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by ddarkslayer:
I'll give that a shot

DDslayer Keep us updated

nk286 thas sum good info

[patriot]

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the relays on the computer harness there is one under the mass air or filter. Have you checked the ground wire coming off the harness by the coil. There is a fuse in there that may go bad also. All else fail you can just swap out the engine harness from the ecu to the motor. Its not that hard to do that's why you never see the harness in pick n pull
Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any new news on how it went?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com