Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » C4 Transmission swap??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: C4 Transmission swap??
86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86SALLY  Ford pictures for 86SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AOD took a shit on me and was just wondering if going C4 is better. What are the pros and cons? Has anyone done this swap before? If i decide to go C4 what will i need and will i need to do some custom fabricating?? thinking about getting one for my 86 5.0.

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i personally have a c4 in my coupe (for sale btw) and its a very durable trans shifts great reacts well to engine outputs but its 3 speed so idk if youre aware of that. i love mine but lady wants 5 speed so if youre interested lmk

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go 4R70 and never look back

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86SALLY  Ford pictures for 86SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:

thats off the lincoln marks right? i heard about them supposedly they have a low 1st and 2nd gear this true?

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Love my C4 for drag racing and street driving, but if you drive the car on the freeway be prepared for some 3k plus rpm.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

StangCity510
¯
Member # 11711

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StangCity510  Ford pictures for StangCity510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
Love my C4 for drag racing and street driving, but if you drive the car on the freeway be prepared for some 3k plus rpm.

+1 and more stops at the gas pump.

--------------------
will work for stangs

86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

quote:
Originally posted by StangCity510:
quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:

+1 and more stops at the gas pump.
Lol well good thing gas prices are going down haha

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86SALLY:
quote:

thats off the lincoln marks right? i heard about them supposedly they have a low 1st and 2nd gear this true?
They come standard in a variety of different ford cars but the ones that people use are the AODE/4R70W's from the 94-98 automatic mustangs. There is also the stronger ones in the 99-04 automatic Mustang's but to make one work in a 86-93 5.0 will be a pain in the ass. First they are electronic and run off of signals from the ECU to shift. The AOD you currently have in your car operates on valve pressure and thats how it shifts. 2-different worlds. and to make one work in your fox your gonna need to run a standalone system for the ECU and also you'll be doing a hell of alot of rewiring and other headaches like making things fit in places where they were never meant to be! good luck with that! but if that doesnt sway you and you still wanna learn more talk to Eric over at clickclick racing he has one of the fastest 4r70 foxes in the nation. i think he runs 9's through his current setup.

[ December 10, 2012, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: ILLMNRD86 ]

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
silverfox is the key.

Also, full manual valve body is the way to go and 98 plus tranny.

I have a few cores here.

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's a street car that you take on the freeway you'll probably miss having OD if you go to a c4. I'm starting to consider building up an aod to put in my car or go the 4r70 route if I can find a good cheap core. AOD's get a lot of hate but they're actually really nice working units once you take care of the issues they have.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
silverfox is the key.

Also, full manual valve body is the way to go and 98 plus tranny.

I have a few cores here.

Dan

Silverfox know's his shit with AOD's/AODE's and 4r70W... Here is one of his write ups on a 4r70W into a fox. His name is Dan too.

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?5797-4R70W-Swap-Tech

86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

do i do anything with my wiring harness?

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com