Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » NEED HELP!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP!!
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my buddy has a 99 gt and he is installing a 04 cobra fuel tank in it. The car doesnt start and you dont hear the 2 pumps in the tank. Everything is hooked up the way it should be except for one connector that should hook up to the second module for the tank. Im very stumped about this situation

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wht86drop:
So my buddy has a 99 gt and he is installing a 04 cobra fuel tank in it. The car doesnt start and you dont hear the 2 pumps in the tank. Everything is hooked up the way it should be except for one connector that should hook up to the second module for the tank. Im very stumped about this situation

If something is supposed to be connected and it's not...do you really expect it to work?
Cut the gas tank in half and see if it still holds gas

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He asked for help bro ... Damn I hate how ppl treat someone just askin a question whether it's dumb or not ...

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its all good bro. Some ppl dont understand what help means. I know my way around a pushrod just a little more difficult when it comes to modular

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sry i didn't have any info for you what ru trying to do?

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Its all good bro. Some ppl dont understand what help means. I know my way around a pushrod just a little more difficult when it comes to modular

I wasnt trying to be a dick but you answered your own question." Car won't start but the important shits not plugged in can someone help?"
I got a lot of prick answers before I realized my questions had no importance or depth to them.
Not saying that's what yours is because it's better than most of mine lol but you got to understand that you already knew what was a possible problem. What if some one said buy more pumps. You would go cash out and possibly have the same problem. We don't want that so fix what you know is wrong first then worry when and IF (that's a big IF) it don't work

--------------------
King Lx

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

I didnt answer my own question because if i did then i wouldnt be here asking for help. What i need to know is if i have to splice wires or is there some type of adapter for the dual modules. I was asking for help from someone who has done this swap for some guidance so i can finish my project. I have many other cars to work on and cant get to it till im finished with my current

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Has nothing to do with Pushrod or Mod motors. It's a gas tank. [Smile]

Lets start with this, what IS connected?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:

Has nothing to do with Pushrod or Mod motors. It's a gas tank. [Smile]

LoL [worship]
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Regardless of what it is i need help. If you cant answer a question or give me advise on how to resolve my issue then dont shit on the thread. So if you can help me them help if not dont bother posting b.s

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Regardless of what it is i need help. If you cant answer a question or give me advise on how to resolve my issue then dont shit on the thread. So if you can help me them help if not dont bother posting b.s

Fix the connection you said you didn't do and see how it works, cars are sensitive. Hell a bad bulb in a Benz will not let the car start. Fix the connection!!

--------------------
King Lx

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

No bro. The problem is that a stock 99 gt gas tank has only 1 module in the trunk which means there is only one connector. The 03/04 cobra tank has 2 modules which means there are 2 connectors. So what i need to know is if there is an adaptor for the missing connection or do i have to splice wires

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

No bro. The problem is that a stock 99 gt gas tank has only 1 module in the trunk which means there is only one connector. The 03/04 cobra tank has 2 modules which means there are 2 connectors. So what i need to know is if there is an adaptor for the missing connection or do i have to splice wires

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Maybe if you can somehow loop the signal back around or just tap it into the one you said is connected

--------------------
King Lx

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

I just looked at 4-5 svtp threads about your dilemma a lot, well everyone's days its a direct plug in
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/463782-cobra-gas-tank-install-gt.html

--------------------
King Lx

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

I ges we're gunna have to retrace our steps and make sure everything else is connected. Ill keep it posted

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You are incorrect. The 03-04 Cobra runs the same fuel tank trunk wiring harness as the 99-04 GT. As for modules in the trunk, there's one, the FPDM...it's the same part number. Nothing cosmic about it. If your donor has two FPDM connectors, because you removed the wiring from the trunk of the donor, then yes...2 FPDMs will need to be used. The harness, at the fuel tank, has one connector...round in shape, 8 pin in design. This incorporates both the pump harness wiring and the fuel level wiring. There is a small square connector that branches off this harness that connects to a sensor for fuel tank pressure. The tanks are nearly identical in shape and design, with the only real difference being the sump and dual pumps in the 03-04 version...It is a plug and play design.  -
Double check this though...some 1999-2000 models had TWO fuel tank pressure sensors. If the original tank had two, you will need to remove one and install it in your new tank.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Roush6018
¯
Member # 12041

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush6018  Ford pictures for Roush6018    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a cobra tank in my gt and the pumps didn't work at first. All the connectors were the same and all were hooked up. The gt body harness from PCM to the tank is different. I have a cobra PCM harness and a gt fuel tank harness. It took me a while to figure out but the green/ yellow wires need to be wired together at that electrical connector and the all white wire from the PCM harness need to be cut before the connector an grounded.. I Hooked mine to the PCM ground wire. for the dual FPDM connectors you will need two modules or wire it back to a single FPDM setup.good luck my setup took forever

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com