Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 87 GT problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 87 GT problems
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 87 speed density gt my head gasket n piston rings fried do I just changed out the whole motor. It still a stock bottom end 302 I just put gt40p heads and a explorer manifold with a 70 mm throttle bod and longtubes . It's hard to turn over when I turn the key it goes real slow then fast and turns on. Also it smells like gas and I hear a popping sound I think coming from the manifold . I don't know what it can be and the fuel pressure is at 35. Any info would help

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are you wanting help with? If your head gasket(s) are blowin' more smoke than Snoop Dogg and your piston rings are as baked as a Medicinal User, seems you know what the problem is.
I'd pull the engine, disassemble it, and check the condition. If all is ok and just worn, throw a ring/bearing kit at it and play on.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a new motor in it and that's what happened no snoop dogg smoke jus manifold popping

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like it's 180* out.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing incorrect, vacuum leak, firing order incorrect. Try those first.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1sickEXchp1988
¯
Member # 11451

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sickEXchp1988  Ford pictures for 1sickEXchp1988    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the timing is off. set the engine at TDC"top dead center" rotate the engine until the timing marks are correct on the harmonic balancer,
drop the distributor in and align the rotor with the number one

SVT JAVY
¯
Member # 10767

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT JAVY  Ford pictures for SVT JAVY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the timing mark to know when it's in dead top center?
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SVT JAVY:
What's the timing mark to know when it's in dead top center?

You want TDC on the compression stroke. I pull the #1 plug and put my thumb over the hole, turn the engine over until you feel the compression, keep rotating until you get to 0 degrees on the balancer, stab the dizzy with the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com