Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wire tuck

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wire tuck
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to do a wire tuck on my 87 coupe but don't know how to do it. Id rather try it out first than to pay 300$ for having someone else do it . Do u gotta make the holes behind the strut tower bigger for te light harness that's where I'm having problems right now they don't all fit in there. Any tips would really be appreciated thanks cafords

--------------------
1987 coupe -under construction

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I ran my wire behind the fender I had no issues . Some plugs are going to be a tight fit . I didn't cut anything yet.

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lift the front end take the fender mud cover things off and unplug and reroute I'm sure you can go into really fine detail I did mine pretty easy

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinitzzz  Ford pictures for Chinitzzz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah that's how I have it right now lifted with out the iner fenders . I was wondering if I'm going to need the sensors on the passenger side behind the strut tower? Can u guys post pics thanks?

--------------------

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -
I'll have to get better cleaner pics

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
 -
 -

How did u run the light harness and te other connections on that side? I had problems on mine because the coil connection wasn't reaching

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt cut any wire but did cut away on tape around the wiring so I could extend the coil wiring. The headlight harness was easy just remove the coolant reservoir to give more room for the wiring.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd say there are a few part to a wire tuck. on mine I basically just re routed the the wiring on each side that hangs over the strut towers next to each camber plate ( same as sleepingstallion pics). I re routed them through factory holes in the corner of the engine bay on and used zip tie to hold them to the inner fender leaving just enough length to plug back everything back in. I felt any more tucking(like the shit on the firewall behind the motor) is more extensive and would rather pay someone but I feel anyone could do the "first stage" wire tuck its really straight forward and it's def an improvement

[ November 15, 2012, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALMOST STOCK  Ford pictures for ALMOST STOCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been passing this alone for over 11 years [Smile]

How To ......... and Pics
http://ironhorse.activeboard.com/t40692838/wire-hiding-101/

This is on my 89 your 87 should be even easier.

Posts: 94 | From: Cameron Park, Calif | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ALMOST STOCK:

How much would you charge me to do my engine bay? [Big Grin] Im pretty close to Prunedale, i'm in Soledad.

--------------------
-American Revolution-

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALMOST STOCK  Ford pictures for ALMOST STOCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd like to help you but I gave up doing others engine bays about 3 years ago. Sorry
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I'd like to help you but I gave up doing others engine bays about 3 years ago. Sorry

It's cool. [patriot]

--------------------
-American Revolution-

Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I didnt cut any wire but did cut away on tape around the wiring so I could extend the coil wiring. The headlight harness was easy just remove the coolant reservoir to give more room for the wiring.

Can u post up pics from the inside of the fenders? Both sides thanks?

--------------------

Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

quote:

Thanks this really helped me out a lot I'm almost done but ran into a problem with the starter cable how did you route that?

--------------------

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

From the starter then along side the block,then across the K-member to where the lower radiator hose is, then across to the radiator support into the fender and up to the battery.

You'll need a longer starter cable to do that.
I had a boat shop make mine up with the ends on it.
The reason I chose a boat shop was because they have rolls of 4 gauge wire for there trolling motors to battery and they were cheaper than I could buy it anywhere else.

[ November 18, 2012, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: ALMOST STOCK ]

Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

quote:
From the starter then along side the block,then across the K-member to where the lower radiator hose is, then across to the radiator support into the fender and up to the battery.

You'll need a longer starter cable to do that.
I had a boat shop make mine up with the ends on it.
The reason I chose a boat shop was because they have rolls of 4 gauge wire for there trolling motors to battery and they were cheaper than I could buy it anywhere else.

Ok thanks I was thinking of using like speaker wire and Just cut up the old wire and solder on the old ends . How much should I pay if I do it like u did? Or around how much?

--------------------

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

I'm not sure what the cost is now, but I believed I paid around $8 - $10 when I did mine 11 yrs ago.
Chinitzzz
¯
Member # 10751

quote:
I'm not sure what the cost is now, but I believed I paid around $8 - $10 when I did mine 11 yrs ago.

Ok thanks should I ask for anything specific when I go ask for it?

--------------------

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

quote:
Ok thanks should I ask for anything specific when I go ask for it?
Just tell them you want 4 gauge cable, the length, and what ends you want put on is all I did.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com