Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ticking noise?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ticking noise?
9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9165pt0  Ford pictures for 9165pt0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a header leak. when driving its not noticible at idle. goes away when you let off the throttle. but stays constant while giving it gas. louder with more load. i replaced header gaskets, old ones were blown. But no change at all in the sound after replacement. Running out of patience lol and ideas.
OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Valves?

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a couple of thoughts...

H/X/Y pipe not tight against collector end of the header? bolts loosened.

Possible crack in one of the headers, perhaps a weld broke near the collectors (happened to me).

9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9165pt0  Ford pictures for 9165pt0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya. im starting to think the samething about the collectors or possible crack in header. the tick is really annoying, but only audible under a load. The connection seems to be pretty tight and flush between the h pipe and header, ill have to crawl under it again and try to keep looking.
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the car running fine? Or alittle. Sluggish?

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

runs fine. just sounds annoying in the car, esp when in 3rd low rpms and you put the motor under load. its very audible, but like a tinny tick tick tick. speeds up and slows down accordingly with throttle. but runs fine
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sure its not pinging?

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

def not pinging. not a rattle can type high pitch. more like a constant tick tick tick. exhaust shop thinks there maybe a crack inside the header. idk, but its hard to find
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you know anyone with a evap smoke machine use it thru the tail pipe and block the other tail pipe to find the leak. its a extremely good system to locate hard to find exhaust leaks
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this happen on my DD v6. Crack in the passenger side header. Near the collector. Had an exhaust shop re-weld it, but I think its back, so I may need to make a trip to the local pick and pull.
9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

thanks, ima try that evap test. and then possibly pull the header and take a look. wont have time until the weeked hopefully, ill update when once i do
Scoop
¯
Member # 8726

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scoop  Ford pictures for Scoop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might sound funny but check your plug wires I had one arcing and it sounded like an exhaust leak.
Posts: 1121 | From: Out Chillin | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com