Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » blew my head gasket

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: blew my head gasket
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for eastoaklandss  Ford pictures for eastoaklandss  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's a good gasket for aluminum heads just blew my heads less than 2 months need better gaskets this time around with these aluminum heads

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1999 camaro ss 10.3 @130 old setup/13.7 @114 new setup lol
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

Posts: 411 | From: Oakland/Hayward | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you resurface the heads after you blew em the first time? and did you torque em down in the right sequence?
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eastoaklandss  Ford pictures for eastoaklandss  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I resurfaced the heads before I put them on my new block yes I torqued them down I had some felpro gaskets they were for aluminum heads I bought from Vic Hubbard I'm not sure if those gaskets wasn't good enough for my set up

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eastoaklandss  Ford pictures for eastoaklandss  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the proper torque spec and sequence for heads???

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gaskets rarely fail on their own. You might have a issue some where else. What's the setup?

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how u torque them, then ask how to? lol sorry man but i think there lies the problem.

knock on wood i haven't had a set of head gaskets let go i think ever! the block has to be super cleaned, head surface super clean! not sanded on to make shiny cause this will cause low spots that wont seal. clean or chase the threads in all the head bolt holes, as well as clean all the thread on the head bolts, then run them in by hand to check there not hanging up on anything, do not use a tap and die set to clean your head bolts or holes!!! there is a thread chaser that is used specifically for this.

i apply some assembly grease what ever brand or 30 weight oil under the head of the head bolt,or on both sides of the washer if its a arp bolt or stud, and some on the threads.

just make sure block is clean and don't dump the dirt and ole gaskets material back into the motor as your scraping it clean. i use a razor blade. then a rag sprayed with carb or brake clean to wipe clean. heads better be strait and not brand new off the next guys car. new and strait out the machine shop is what i mean. follow the torque sequence correctly. some people or books say use 3 torque steps. like first step might be 20 , second might be 40, third might be the finanle 62 or 72 . what ever it is im just guessing off my head right now. but regardless i go every 10 pounds. for instance if the finale torque is 72 , i torque start at 10, second torque is 20, third is 30. forth is 40, 5th tourqe step is 50, etc get it? gd luck.

head gaskets should be comparable for your aluminum heads as well of course. but these steps have let me use the basic cost effective fel pro gaskets on all or most of my strret cars for my self and customers with no failures.

[ October 17, 2012, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Motors ]

moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
how u torque them, then ask how to? lol sorry man but i think there lies the problem.

knock on wood i haven't had a set of head gaskets let go i think ever! the block has to be super cleaned, head surface super clean! not sanded on to make shiny cause this will cause low spots that wont seal. clean or chase the threads in all the head bolt holes, as well as clean all the thread on the head bolts, then run them in by hand to check there not hanging up on anything, do not use a tap and die set to clean your head bolts or holes!!! there is a thread chaser that is used specifically for this.

i apply some assembly grease what ever brand or 30 weight oil under the head of the head bolt,or on both sides of the washer if its a arp bolt or stud, and some on the threads.

just make sure block is clean and don't dump the dirt and ole gaskets material back into the motor as your scraping it clean. i use a razor blade. then a rag sprayed with carb or brake clean to wipe clean. heads better be strait and not brand new off the next guys car. new and strait out the machine shop is what i mean. follow the torque sequence correctly. some people or books say use 3 torque steps. like first step might be 20 , second might be 40, third might be the finanle 62 or 72 . what ever it is im just guessing off my head right now. but regardless i go every 10 pounds. for instance if the finale torque is 72 , i torque start at 10, second torque is 20, third is 30. forth is 40, 5th tourqe step is 50, etc get it? gd luck.

head gaskets should be comparable for your aluminum heads as well of course. but these steps have let me use the basic cost effective fel pro gaskets on all or most of my strret cars for my self and customers with no failures.

+1 u should have the heads milled at the local machine shop to insure that the surface is legit

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blower set up? an what is the part number on the head gaskets?
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
9333-pt1 and I switch heads around like its goin out of style and roloc the deck never had an issue on any motor.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

I have a 306 flat top pistons aluminum elderbrock heads 1.6 RR arp head bolts elderbrock rpm 2 upper and lower 70 mm throttle body had the heads resurfaced at the machine shop in Hayward had the motor in for 2 months now I had coolant comeing out my exuast and spitting collect out my right tail pipe

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Don't remember the part number for the head gaskets

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Just asking on the packaging the head gaskets came with a paper that had the torque spec and I followed those directions and I don't understand why I have this problem

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What head bolts are you using? Also, the part number of the head gaskets would help your posting tremendously.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

I forgot what the part number of the head gaskets ima find out and I have arp head bolts

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try to find out the part number of your ARP bolts as well. Are you using the washers as well as the insert reducers?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Yes I'm using the washers

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u got aluminum heads, most are drilled for 1/2 bolts . u will need stepped reducer washers to center your smaller head bolts in the heads.
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i REALLY like the felpro "wire loc" #2006 i think ??? something X006 tho

you need to machine the grooves in the heads only

should be maybe $25/head

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
eastoaklandss
¯
Member # 8011

Took my heads off and I had a blown head gasket on my passenger side head I'm going MLS gasket and now I found out that my cylinder 3 wasn't firing still looks new didn't feel a power loss hopefully it's just a bad spark plug or wire but I will put it all back together and do a compression check to make shore everything is good but I ran into a another thing now my pushrods show a lot of wear I would post pics but can't from my iPad if some one can help me post pics I can show you guys to give you a better picture of what's going on thanks you guys for the help and ima get some Chromoly pushrods just watch ones do I get there's a lot of different sizes because I was running the stock pushrods thanks guys for the help

--------------------
1970 chevelle ls2 6spd
1989 6.0 ls2 notchback
1986 5.0 t-bird
1991 notchback charged

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MLS gaskets are a good idea. They will help with the heat cycles. I'd also spray them with with a light coat of copper. Not sure what heads you have but my trickflows required chrome-moly push rods. You need to measure for the correct length before ordering. trickflow has instructions on how to measure the distance. you'll need an adjustable push rod. either buy one or make one. I had made my own. (cut an old one, insert threaded stock with some nuts to adjust it)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com