Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1993 Notchback Ignition problem?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1993 Notchback Ignition problem?
PIF
¯
Member # 5570

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PIF  Ford pictures for PIF  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem is to keep the car on you have to hold the key on run position and as soon as you let go of the key, the car turns off. How do I fix this?

--------------------
86GT
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3874263
79Pace Car
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2644330
82TTOP
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2573989

Posts: 295 | From: East Palo Alto | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like your ignition like you said but it's the actual part where the key goes. That's my best guess

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change em both lol ignition switch and ignition cylinder

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

BRB 50
¯
Member # 10395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRB 50  Ford pictures for BRB 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just recently on my 93 a connection came loose right under/next to the battery. It was round with one connection, pushed it in and i was good. My car was doing the same thing you describe
Posts: 160 | From: es oakland | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take off the plastic around the column there is a loose connection under there it is the ignition switch not cylinder that's located on the column. There is a rod that pushes the switch that comes loose. 100% that's ur problem I'd just zip tie the switch it take two ties to go around the column and ur fixed

[ October 11, 2012, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BRB 50:
just recently on my 93 a connection came loose right under/next to the battery. It was round with one connection, pushed it in and i was good. My car was doing the same thing you describe

That does it too that's the ecu engine harness ground the one with a fuse in the connector. I take that out too and hard wire that also

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com