Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Convertible top issue! HELP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Convertible top issue! HELP
HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HIGHWAYR  Ford pictures for HIGHWAYR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my top wont come!

When I hit the button I can still hear it click back by the motor but nothing!

????'s
Can I access the motor from the trunk?

Should I check for anything else?

Any Help would be appreciated !!!! LMk thanks

--------------------
90 COUPE/ 25K ORIGINAL MILES
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

HOVER BOARDS DONT FLOAT ON WATER McFLY

5.0Abe
¯
Member # 11310

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 5.0Abe  Ford pictures for 5.0Abe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha I got the same dam problem it just happened to me 2 days ago. I topt it off with trany fluid still didn't work all I kept hearing was the dam realay clicking over and not the motor. So I guess its not good time for another. Hit up lee racirx he got 3 of them good luck with that [patriot]
Posts: 505 | From: Pittsburg CA. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  :
HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HIGHWAYR  Ford pictures for HIGHWAYR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can I access the motor through the trunk?

--------------------
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can gain access to the pump by pulling the well liner back behind the back seat.
The motor brushes are usually the issue with these. Separate the motor from the pump (two bolts on rear of motor) and remove. Check and see how much is left of the square motor brushes. May need to just spray down with contact cleaner. There is also an overload contact that can develope a bad connection as well. Clean and possibly take a piece of sand paper and slide accross the contacts.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

HIGHWAYR
¯
Member # 8183

ttt

--------------------
97 GT /NEVER MOVES

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cant you just take out the rear seat back and gain access to the pump? (if it is the pump)

my pump is probably well on its way on choking too...

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I gave the info of what your problem is and how to try and repair.
I'm sure I probably have a good used motor available as well

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So having an issue with mine now. I hear the motor making noise back there but it hardly does anything. Started all of the sudden. Is my motor most likely bad if its making noise and just not doing much?

--------------------
86' LX Vert

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Arch:
So having an issue with mine now. I hear the motor making noise back there but it hardly does anything. Started all of the sudden. Is my motor most likely bad if its making noise and just not doing much?

I would check fluid level first before you think about changing the motor

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup^ add fluid and bleed the lines
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. Thanks guys.

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com