Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » electric fuel pump with carb????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: electric fuel pump with carb????
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my friend was telling me that I should put an electric fuel pump on my car.. its a 82 5.0 and I wana keep it carb with the new motor I plan on dropping in(lil 306 with heads, cam, n holley carb).. but I don't know how I would do that? What all would I need to get or change? I did some research and some threads say I should get a whole new gas tank with and in-tank pump, and others say inline pump.. will I need to run new gas lines and stuff, or what do I do?

I'm pretty lost and need help quik haha.. if I have ti change tanks and run new lines, etc, then I wann do it now while my car is stripped and the rearend is dropped....

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP [Confused]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get an inline pump rated at 4-7 psi, and adjustable regulator wont hurt either. you can just put it inline and save the work of dropping the tank

--------------------
91' Notch

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holley Blue pump kit (comes with a regulator). You'll also need a pump block off plate for the timing cover when you remove the mechanical pump.

I'm pretty sure Ford never had an in-tank pump for carb'd Mustangs. The in-tank pumps you can get are for EFI and are too high pressure for a carb.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So drop the in-tank pump idea right?

Would I have to run new lines for the fuel with the inline pump?

And are you talking about a block off plate for where the mechanical fuel pump is?

With the Holley Blue Pump Kit, what else would I have to buy? Does it come with the block off plate and everything?

What would be the best psi rating inline pump to get for my kind of 306 set up? Haven't decided between 600, 650, or 750 carb yet.. Still waiting to get my motor completely together.. Would the carb size matter for what kinda pump i get?

Lastly, would i have any issues with it flooding the carb?!

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:

I'm pretty sure Ford never had an in-tank pump for carb'd Mustangs. The in-tank pumps you can get are for EFI and are too high pressure for a carb.

Yeah they were saying to get a tank off a 86 & up, and use it on mine.. But I didnt think about the pressure of the pump.. So i'm just gonna drop that idea..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
So drop the in-tank pump idea right?

Maybe someone else knows of an in-tank pump that would work, but to my knowledge, I can't think of anything.

quote:
Would I have to run new lines for the fuel with the inline pump?
Not sure what size lines a Fox has. If you use the stock lines, there are adapter fittings from Russell to use the factory connectors with AN hoses.

quote:
And are you talking about a block off plate for where the mechanical fuel pump is?

With the Holley Blue Pump Kit, what else would I have to buy? Does it come with the block off plate and everything?

This is the type of plate you need. It does not come with the Holley kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-402035/

You would need the plate, pump kit, fuel filter and any adapters and hoses needed. I don't have a Fox, so I couldn't tell you what you needed to hook the pump to the tank up.

quote:
What would be the best psi rating inline pump to get for my kind of 306 set up? Haven't decided between 600, 650, or 750 carb yet.. Still waiting to get my motor completely together.. Would the carb size matter for what kinda pump i get?

Lastly, would i have any issues with it flooding the carb?!

Holley carbs need 5-6 PSI (usually). For a 306, a blue pump will be more than enough. It shouldn't flood out if you have the regulator set correctly and the floats are adjusted right.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep the stock hard lines and near the tank, cut like a 8-12in section out and mount pump inline, then to connect them together use rubber fuel line and clamps, no need to go with AN fittings.. unless you wanna spend the money.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and a 650 DP would be great with that setup

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

thanks a lot guys!! You guys made it a lot easier to understand.. I was hela lost..

I should be able to find the fitting and hoses, etc at Vic Hubbards right?

I'm pretty much leaning towards a Holley 650 with a blue pump.. What's the advantage of Double Pumper?? Does it make any major changes or differences in performance, reliability, adjustability, or ....?

And just get the block off plate,inline blue pump, fitings, clamps, etc, and I should be running good right?? Just have to adjust everything properly??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

0o and what kind of regulator would i need since its only running low psi??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Holley blue pump comes with a reg.
A double pumper is a carb that you control the secondaries. In a vacuum secondary carb the motor controls the secondaries.

My suggestion would be a Holley 570,600 or 650 vs carb. The 570 will be more than big enough and give better throttle response.

I would suggest staying with a good mechanical fuel pump. They are simple,reliable and quiet. The Holley blue makes a lot of noise.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

the mechanical pump trips out high rpms when im on the freeway and tryna mess around a bit.. I've had 2 of them go out on me already, so i just want to get a electric this time around..

So a 570 would be better for my set up compared to a 650? I've heard that the 570 gives better throttle response, but isnt too great for really getting on the gas..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The key word in my suggestion for staying with mechanical pump is GOOD. You aren't going to find one at the parts store.

Here is one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-289-11/

What is high rpm's to you ?

Just remember these Holley carbs are very generic in there tune. They have to be able to work on 302 or 460. They take lots of tuning to get to run at optimum. Out of the box they will run good but tune will not be perfect. A good way to go is a custom carb from someone like prosystems. They will build you one that will be very close to perfect out of the box.

[ September 30, 2012, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
The key word in my suggestion for staying with mechanical pump is GOOD. You aren't going to find one at the parts store.

0o ok, gotcha.. yea, these fukn autozone ones suck..

when im really pushing it, i take the car up to like 6000-6500 rpm.. starts trippin out at about 5500.. About how much does a custom carb cost?

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

I'll bet it's not the fuel pump that is the problem. More likely timing, jetting or valve springs.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good mechanical pump will work just fine... What is currently on the car? Less things to fail in my opinion. im running a supercharger with a boost referenced mechanical pump & have no problems hasnt gone lean on me ever.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

i forgot what brand i have right now.. I was just planning on going to an inline electric fuel pump when I drop in my new motor.. I had 2 pumps go out on me already, but then again they were autozone pumps haha

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've ran a high flow holley & a high flow carter for years and neither has failed.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Holley Blue pump kit (comes with a regulator). You'll also need a pump block off plate for the timing cover when you remove the mechanical pump.

This.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been running the same Carter mechanical pump for 25 years. Tons of 1/4 mile runs, road racing, 302, 351, 120,000 miles...wouldn't go electric if you gave me the parts for free

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
I've been running the same Carter mechanical pump for 25 years. Tons of 1/4 mile runs, road racing, 302, 351, 120,000 miles...wouldn't go electric if you gave me the parts for free

no point for electric unless ur fuel injected or running alot of boost

--------------------

707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm also running a carter mechanical pump with no issues. I was having a similar problem to op where it would break up around 6000. I thought it was fuel related at first but to rule out ignition I installed a 6al box and it went away.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i lol run the cheap kragen pumps for my own street cars and not one has failed. if three have failed something else is happenning.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com