Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Highest timing in 93'?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Highest timing in 93'?
93NotchbackLX
¯
Member # 12122

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93NotchbackLX  Ford pictures for 93NotchbackLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the best place to have my timing set in my 93' notchback>? it's at 12-12.5 right now. Im looking to get the most out of my engine

--------------------
93' CoupeLX w/ BBK-Pulleys, Fuel Pump, Strut Tower Brace, TB, TBS, EGR spacer,Intake, headers.MsD Cap and rotor,x pipe & magnapac,Eibach springs

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12 is good but try 14 but don't use crappy gas you will need to go up in octane

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u gotta see what the car likes while one fares good at 12 another likes 13 and another maybe more/less gotta feel it out, and yeah higher octane, or you might start knockin and pingin! [patriot]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
93NotchbackLX
¯
Member # 12122

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93NotchbackLX  Ford pictures for 93NotchbackLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice guys ill try it out, what exactly does advancing the timing due that gives me more power?

--------------------
93' CoupeLX w/ BBK-Pulleys, Fuel Pump, Strut Tower Brace, TB, TBS, EGR spacer,Intake, headers.MsD Cap and rotor,x pipe & magnapac,Eibach springs

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93NotchbackLX:
nice guys ill try it out, what exactly does advancing the timing due that gives me more power?

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I couldn't see running low octane with advanced timing on a stock Foxbody, but my all stock 95 with stock timing will ping like crazy if I don't run 91, I like to maximize timing when racing and I couldn't see doing that without race gas. 20 years ago I think we were setting the initial timing 18-22 degrees with 100-110 octane to get a stock Mustang in the 12s but I could be wrong since it was a long time ago but it was something like that. But on a basic 500hp +/- blower car, Foxbody, I couldn't see going over 110 octane with 24-26 total timing, and a turbo car, Foxbody 500HP+/-, 117 octane works very well with 24-26 total timing.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

It's easier to see if you're improving while on a dyno. To get the maximum power, you want the maximum explosion from the air/fuel mix burning just after TDC. Higher octane burns slower so you need to advance the timing to get that max explosion with the piston in the right position (just after TDC). Lower octane burns faster so the spark can start later and still make the same and possibly more torque. You'll get more power (torque) when the max explosion (really called peak cylinder pressure) when the piston is near the top of the cylinder and just on its' way down.

If the engine pings, it doesn't automatically mean you need higher octane. You may have the spark too far advanced. Advance the timing too much and the peak explosion occurs right at or a little before TDC which will ping.

My point is higher octane and advanced timing by themselves does not make more power. You really need to try different combinations to see what works best in your motor.

coupla quotes for ya from what i believe is correct info, your not gonna get an incredible amount of power out of adv. timing on an other wise stock fox. but i hope the quotes above help u understand what exactly is going on and how to use it. like i said every car is dif so your gonna have to feel out whats really workin! good luck! [Wink]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93NotchbackLX:

in a nut shell? you're basically trying to get peak horsepower/torque past TDC.

Every car is different. try playing around with it a little. Its pretty easy to time these cars, so it doesn't hurt to play around with a few degrees and see what you like most. Before i did the MSD swap on my stang my timing was set at 12 degrees with a stock points ignition. I always thought this was ridiculously high for a "stock" 289 with a points ignition. But I also found out i had 68-69 302 heads on it. I set the timing back to stock ( 8 degrees ) and it pinged and back fired out of the carburetor. put it at 9-10 degrees. was a little better, but still backfired. i put it at 12 and it really came alive, but still had slight studdering under accleration. now its set at 14 degrees and its running like a raped ape. Just be sure not to advance it too much! your car is much newer and has a knock sensor in it as well.

hope this helps.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com