Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cats removed no engine light?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cats removed no engine light?
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i removed my rear cats from my 02 gt and no check engine light came on? do they just come on when you remove the ones near the headers or what?And will my car pass smog like that?

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran an off-road X-pipe on my 97 GT for over a year with no Check Engine light coming on. Eventually it did, and i'd use a scan tool to reset it, and it'd stay off for a good 3 or 4 weeks before coming back.
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes front cats are still taking care of the hc and co that the engine produces. so the check engine lamp wont turn on. but the rear cats do a majority of the nox reduction. so no it wont pass somg.
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is your car much louder now that you only have 2 cats?

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isnt it as longest ur cAts are gone and your 02 censors are still in place light won't turn on
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isnt it as longest ur cAts are gone and your 02 censors are still in place light won't turn on
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dohc90lx:
yes front cats are still taking care of the hc and co that the engine produces. so the check engine lamp wont turn on. but the rear cats do a majority of the nox reduction. so no it wont pass somg.

thanx for the info i saved the cats so when smog time comes i'll just have the rewelded in.

--------------------

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
is your car much louder now that you only have 2 cats?

it depends on your muffler setup but yeah the sound is quite noticeably louder

--------------------

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could just be the bulb light for it behind the dash... Sometimes people take them out to trick people when they are selling a car..
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the bulb on the dash will cycle with the key on and engine off. so make sure you see that to verify the system works. i open track my car alot and what i did was got some flanges from dynomax. they are a bit pricey but bad ass. they are called v band clamps and you weld these flanges into the exahust and it only takes one bolt to remove them. no gaskets and they seal great. dont restrict flow at all too. it takes me more time to put the car on the lift than it does to pull the cats on and off.
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

quote:
Originally posted by 87 coupe:

on a 5.0 yes. but his car is a obd 2 vehicle and they have front and rear o2 sensors. the front detect oxygen presence to compute a lean or rich condition. and the rear o2 sensors detect for cats by comparing the signal to the front o2 sensors. you can use electronic mil elimanitors inline with the rear sensors too. they work great.
SilverCobra7
¯
Member # 11975

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverCobra7  Ford pictures for SilverCobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed smog recently with my Catted X-Pipe! MIL elimenators on the rear sensors.

--------------------
'03 SVT Cobra 10th Anniversary SOLD
‘99 Mustang GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com