Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » battery cable?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: battery cable?
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what guage(sp) is the cable? gonna be putting my battery in the trunk and would like to know what size cable i need? ive been told just to use jumper cables and just replace the ends..is that ok to use?

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt do the jumper cable thing, I'll check the size cable I have and let you know in a minute.
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also im going to be installing a quick disconnect switch and was wondering if it was ok to install it inline with the positive cable..ive only seen ppl do it with the negative cable thats why i ask..

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

anyone else?

[ September 04, 2012, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: coupe5oh ]

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its 4 gauge wire.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Peter install the cut off switch on the negative side because it sends less of a voltage spike when you connect ground. It's just like when you jump a car. If you've ever put positive on last you see sparks right? But with the negative not so much or maybe even none. It's just a safe way of not burning out any of your wiring

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i personally use 0 gauge, 2 at the minimum. 4 is whats stock and is ok for the stock setup, cause of the short run it has to go. with the whole distance from front to rear, the cable could get hot, and jus saying it takes some experience to run cable and know where its not gona pinch or be exposed to heat or rub on sharp edges, any of these problems cause the cable to heat up, rubber becomes thin and it might melt and short. the thicker cable u can crank on all day and will never heat up. if the jumper cables are of thick cable u can do it, very ghetto and ill laugh at u. but if your in a jam and plan on upgrading later ill keep my mouth shut lol. all jumper cables are different sized wires, so unless u already have them and they are thick use them . if u gotta buy anything,,,,,,,,, buy the right stuff. cables are more expensive anyways. i use welding wire, very think, very flexable, and very quality cable with a gd sheild of rubber, and the least expensive at that!! when u go to the rear under the car it gets very close to the fuel lines, exaust and control arms. when i go to th erear i cut a hole in the beginning of the rear frame rail, run the cable in the frame and pop it out right in the trunk, very clean simple. clean all sharp edges and use thick grommets, and have a fusable link somehow is all a must.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:
also im going to be installing a quick disconnect switch and was wondering if it was ok to install it inline with the positive cable..ive only seen ppl do it with the negative cable thats why i ask..

Well I have an on/off switch for track reasons connected to my positive cable.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:

Well I have an on/off switch for track reasons connected to my positive cable.
I have it on the positive also
Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have mine on the negative just so if anything comes loose there wont be a hot anything exposed to nothing.
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have a system in you car, run the thicker shit like Duncan said 0-2 gauge.. The stock is 4 gauge and thats what Im using.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i have mine on the negative just so if anything comes loose there wont be a hot anything exposed to nothing.

it needs to be on the postive side cut off switchs are to help stop the electric system from working an needs to go to your alt to sut the car down super tech
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

depends what that switch is used for, and how your car is wired , not so super teck.
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
depends what that switch is used for, and how your car is wired , not so super teck.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha best comeback ever!!!

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

thanks james. tired of this dude kinda. hes like a burp. gross,stinks, can come an be rude anytime, and always have to be excused after he speaks. and where did he go to school? the spelling an grammer is first place for the worst ever.
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your car is running and you disconnect the negative battery cable nothing will happen. The alternator is still making power and all your accessories have their own ground.

If the car is off and you want to disconnect the power than pulling the negative cable would be fine.

If you want to cut power to the car while the engine is off than you can do it on the negative cable.

If you want to cut all power to the car while its running than it has to be wired like this.

This is the track legal way to do it. This will turn the engine and all accessories off instantly.

-

[ September 05, 2012, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ItzStock:
If your car is running and you disconnect the negative battery cable nothing will happen. The alternator is still making power and all your accessories have their own ground.

If the car is off and you want to disconnect the power than pulling the negative cable would be fine.

If you want to cut power to the car while the engine is off than you can do it on the negative cable.

If you want to cut all power to the car while its running than it has to be wired like this.

This is the track legal way to do it. This will turn the engine and all accessories off instantly.

-

This is the right an only way to hook up a battery cut off switch.any other way your just asking for trouble an all kinds off problems
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I spoke with an old guy that ran MADD electrionics, or something like that. He knows or knew everything there was about electrical in cars. He recommended buying 0 guage welding wire. The 4 guage is fine if under the hood, however from the trunk it takes my more copper to get the power to the starter. This also ensures you will not over heat the wire and have a car-b-q at the end of the day. I bought 20 of 0 guage online and it was about 85$. Well worth the investment. No problems with this setup.

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use double aught gauge welding cable

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com