Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03 Cobra Ticking noise? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 03 Cobra Ticking noise?
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrillaJay  Ford pictures for TrillaJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just recently started noticing this ticking noise. Can really hear it while idle, goes away when the rpms are up. Haven't heard the noise before I redlined it. Drives perfectly. The heads are done to eliminate that 03 cobra head issue. Sounds like the ticking is coming from up top near the driver side valve cover. Stock injectors by the way. Any opinions would be appriciated.

Over the driver valve cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoGr0h4H2I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Under the driver door/valve cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7GcbPaHvY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--------------------
04'MystichromeSVTCobra#524
03'BuiltSilverSVTCobra-SOLD
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing chain/guide?

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrillaJay  Ford pictures for TrillaJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
Timing chain/guide?

No idea. Can only hear the ticking when idling.

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
definitely timing chain guides. mine went out but on my 2v, started ticking at idle would go away then come back, until the chain was loose enough to break the guide completely. I would fix it asap and not get on it too hard, my guides broke and all the plastic pieces ended up in the oil pan blocking the oil pickup and car had no oil pressure, had to get it towed home.

might be something else but sound is similar to what happen to me

[ September 03, 2012, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: ReekingHavoc ]

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

quote:
Originally posted by ReekingHavoc:
definitely timing chain guides. mine went out but on my 2v, started ticking at idle would go away then come back, until the chain was loose enough to break the guide completely. I would fix it asap and not get on it too hard, my guides broke and all the plastic pieces ended up in the oil pan blocking the oil pickup and car had no oil pressure, had to get it towed home.

might be something else but sound is similar to what happen to me

I don't know, I still keep in touch with The previous Owner And he told me that when he had the motor rebuilt, he had all the timing chain guides done. The motor has 3.3k mi on it since rebuild.

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Better video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hki7YC6mlFI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Doesn't sound like the ticking is coming from the timing cover. The ticking sounds louder when I go above the driver side injectors

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

DSGMach
¯
Member # 11304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DSGMach  Ford pictures for DSGMach  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem in my mach, ended up being a valve guide. Do you have the head cooling mod? Highly recommend, it might be too late though..
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

quote:
Originally posted by DSGMach:
I had the same problem in my mach, ended up being a valve guide. Do you have the head cooling mod? Highly recommend, it might be too late though..

Yeah it does have the cooling mod. I have no idea what else it can be, timing chain/guide was done during the rebuild. Only thing I can think of is maybe an injector tick? Sounds like the ticking is coming from above the driver side valve cover and not the timing cover

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the clip off the injector while car is running see if it goes away

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds too loud to be an injector. That sounds like valvetrain to me.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Any good mustang shops in the bay area for this type of problem?

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a lifter or follower to me. they go out all the time. pull the valve cover and look for any spongy ones. typical to hear them only at idle because off idle the oil pressure comes up and can compensate for a bad lifter. check the followers too. sometimes the rollers will devolpe a flat spot./
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

The lifters/followers are stock. I just got done idling it right now. The ticking continues even while/during the rpms rises. And the ticking goes faster as the rpms rise

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of cams do u have? Do you know if the springs have been upgraded as well?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
What kind of cams do u have? Do you know if the springs have been upgraded as well?

Ford GT cams with comp valve springs and retainers.

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
still think its a lifter. they arent hard to change, you will need a special tool from otc to remove the followers. you wont be able to tell without pulling the valve cover though. remove each lifter from the head if you can compress it what so ever with your fingers they are bad. dont reuse the valve cover gasket. once oil has hit it it swells and will leak if you try to re-use it. put a dime size dab of grey silicon where the timing cover meets the head too.
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Google cobra valve tick. Your not the only one. Def not a lifter or timing chain guides. It's the valve guide in the early style heads. I know ford came out with the updated head but not sure if they helped. The updated head will have a blue painted stripe on the exhaust side, from my understanding.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
Google cobra valve tick. Your not the only one. Def not a lifter or timing chain guides. It's the valve guide in the early style heads. I know ford came out with the updated head but not sure if they helped. The updated head will have a blue painted stripe on the exhaust side, from my understanding.

This. I don't think it's loud enough of a tick to be a lifter.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

I understand you just bought the car, but you dont know for sure if the valvetrain has what you think it has. You definitely dont want to drop a valve. Pull the valve cover before you do anything else!!

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

mkhan2001
¯
Member # 11925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkhan2001  Ford pictures for mkhan2001    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be small exhust leak. on my cobra it was making amost same sound i thoug was injector then thougt was lifter then after i month found the problem it it was headers gasket and small crack.

--------------------
99 cobra with termi swap

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

So I'm starting to this it's really the 03 head tick. [Frown] any solutions to this? I already have the cooling mod but that clearly isn't working

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you were closer we could compare my cobra has 05 revised heads put on 2000 miles ago

[ September 29, 2012, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: SantaClara_Cobra ]

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Did you pull the valve cover??

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

quote:
Originally posted by SantaClara_Cobra:
If you were closer we could compare my cobra has 05 revised heads put on 2000 miles ago

where did you buy them at?

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
Did you pull the valve cover??

nah, i got no time with work and school. i just been reading hella write ups and been on different forums posting my vids, getting ppls feedbacks. sometime in the winter ima bring it to a shop.

--------------------
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com