Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP! Car won't brake after 5 lug swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! Car won't brake after 5 lug swap
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast92lxcoupe  Ford pictures for Fast92lxcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys. I did a 5 lug swap early this year and my car has just been sitting in the driveway because it doesn't stop. I did a 95 GT front set up and an SN95 rear end. I also out in a proportioning valve on the passenger side (under the hood by the firewall). However, I didn't change my booster or master cylinder. Any idea what my problem may be? Is it my master or booster?

--------------------
93 LX Hatch W/Black Int 5 Speed(R.I.P)
92 LX Coupe W/Black Int 5 Speed (sold)
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put the 94-95 master on, problem solved

--------------------
91' Notch

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
o, it will require some modifications of the brake lines where the oem prop valve is

--------------------
91' Notch

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fast92lxcoupe:
I also out in a proportioning valve on the passenger side (under the hood by the firewall). However, I didn't change my booster or master cylinder. Any idea what my problem may be? Is it my master or booster?

So you now have two proportioning valves (the stock one and the aftermarket)? You only need one.
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to gut the stock proportioning valve for use with rear disc brakes. the stock proportioning valve doesn't provide enough pressure for disc brakes and doesnt allow the pistons on disc brakes to back off the rotor (constant drag)

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast92lxcoupe  Ford pictures for Fast92lxcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
You need to gut the stock proportioning valve for use with rear disc brakes. the stock proportioning valve doesn't provide enough pressure for disc brakes and doesnt allow the pistons on disc brakes to back off the rotor (constant drag)

Already gutted the original proportioning valve.
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
put the 94-95 master on, problem solved

So just the master? I wouldn't have to swap the booster?

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
o, it will require some modifications of the brake lines where the oem prop valve is

And one more thing, I'm planning on buying the MM proportioning valve delete kit

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think to make it easier to diagnose over the Internet it would help if we knew what exactly you mean by not braking, ex: very stiff pedal, very soft pedal, no pedal!! Lmk might be able to narrow the problem down a little better
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:
Originally posted by 89foxstang:
I think to make it easier to diagnose over the Internet it would help if we knew what exactly you mean by not braking, ex: very stiff pedal, very soft pedal, no pedal!! Lmk might be able to narrow the problem down a little better

Super soft pedal. I took the car up 20 mph and slammed on the brakes and it took about 40 feet to come to a complete stop. When the car is jacked up, and I let the rear wheels turn I can slam on the brakes and it'll take forever for the rear wheels to stop

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

Ryn621
¯
Member # 11276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryn621  Ford pictures for Ryn621    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you bleed the brakes to make sure all air is out
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:
Originally posted by Ryn621:
did you bleed the brakes to make sure all air is out

I bled the shit out of them

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like it could be a bad master, if you bled all the air out and the master was building pressure, I would assume you should have a stiff pedal... With that said an incorrect piston size could cause a mushy pedal, but I wouldn't think it would be that bad? When I did my cobra brake swap I swapped the master, and went with manual brake setup. I had a super stiff pedal lol
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Also I'm assuming you've played with the proportioning valve to see if it makes any difference? Are the fronts just as bad?
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if there is a bleeding port on the master bleed it too. there can be air cought in the master if you didnt bench bleed it.
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need to upgrade your master cylinder. i went with a 93 cobra MC and booster when i did my cobra brake setup. bench bleed it and your braking should improve dramatically.
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When u gutted the stock prop valve u put the plug in right? And you added an adjustable prop valve on the right side where the union is right. If not your never gonna get any brakes.

[ September 03, 2012, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: 89Rodknocker ]

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com