Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » blew a rod on my 96 cobra help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: blew a rod on my 96 cobra help
1BAD SVT
¯
Member # 10456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD SVT  Ford pictures for 1BAD SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ran out of oil while car was on now I hear a knockin sound from the engine anyone no what it could be? The car still runs n drives but don't feel the same power as before A friend of mine said it probably was a rod but idk anyone know were I can get this fixed please need help asap

--------------------
96 MysticSnake
01 Saleen Rip
GMxSmoker

If you aint 1st your last!! shake n bake

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do you run out of oil? did you put a hole in the pan or just never checked it...any way you see it the engine is gonna have to come out and either be rebuilt or replaced

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mod motors need extra oil. More than likely ran the motor low on oil and spun a rod bearing. Mod motors should have 1 additional quart of oil (ie: if your car recommends 6qts then put 7qts). When your motor is running, you only have 1 quart sitting in your oil pan.. so if you run 1+ qts low, then you have almost no oil being picked up by your oil pick-up tube.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
1BAD SVT
¯
Member # 10456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD SVT  Ford pictures for 1BAD SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:
how do you run out of oil? did you put a hole in the pan or just never checked it...any way you see it the engine is gonna have to come out and either be rebuilt or replaced

I check it read fine then couple days later I geuss it started leaking n started making a noise car still runs just hear a knockin around 3k rpm don't know if it makes any difference n well either way anyone know of a good shop where I could get it fixed or rebuild stock or if possible mite want to upgrade to forged internals please I miss driving my car!!

--------------------
96 MysticSnake
01 Saleen Rip
GMxSmoker

dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pm me if your intrested, i built the motor for mine before i put it in. i have a 98 cobra swaped car. these engines are extremely expencive to rebuild. rods can not be remachined and reused they have to be replaced. the crank is such a hard surface that only a few machine shops around have the equiptment to put a nice enough finish on them, and not many people know this but the 4v cobra in those years actually have a taper in the bore that is machined thre for performance reasons. so naturally they burn a little oil. not enough to run out between normal oil changes but enough that when the engines have seen wear they will run low when you may approach the 5k oil change interval. anyway pm me and i may be able to point u in the best direction.
915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rod bearing, similar situation happened to me, had to get my motor rebuilt
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a complete engine i will be pulling this weekend if you are interested. The bottom end was rebuilt 50k miles ago. The valve seals are going bad but what 32 valves seals arent. let me know if you are interested. Its a 96 teksid block.

*edit. I have all of the receipts for the work btw

[ August 14, 2012, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: 86redGT ]

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
motors gone it sounds like

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

91blackonblack
¯
Member # 11591

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackonblack  Ford pictures for 91blackonblack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Duncan motors ftw bro

[ August 14, 2012, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: 91blackonblack ]

--------------------
91blackonblack is banned from this website for good. Vallejo ghetto drama does not belong on CAFords! Y'all need to find a different website. PLEASE! GTFO and take your ghetto shit with you.

ps- ENGLISH DOES MATTER. How foolish of CAFords, we wrote this on our registration page http://oi49.tinypic.com/2akjm7k.jpg but now realize it's useless because the intended audience CAN'T READ, TYPE OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!

His response:

"I just want to say i need some very important info.an the onl way was through a friend to help me find that info.but you guys are some fucking bitches that hide behind ur fucking computer all damn day.you fucking bastards racist piece of shyt.exspecally with that nazi symbol you guys think is koo.fuck you i hope i fuck ur sisters or wife.punk bitches.you guys are fucking haters.an i hope ur fucking website crashes to.god has the last word.an u guys let that piece of shyt 396 get away with murder.an letting everybody get banned because of his shyt talking.i hope he gets his to from somebody.one day he going to say the wrong thing to somebody.fuck u bitches.you mark ass.bye punks"

At least he's consistent with his views!

-----------------------------

91 ssp 306,h.c.i. +v2 blower,suspension
Duncan motorsFTMFTW/F.O.D. FTMFTW
Mr.Quandoe" swang shyt click"

Posts: 1608 | From: the blower yo bitch | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
1BAD SVT
¯
Member # 10456

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86redGT:
[qb] I have a complete engine i will be pulling this weekend if you are interested. The bottom end was rebuilt 50k miles ago. The valve seals are going bad but what 32 valves seals arent. let me know if you are interested. Its a 96 teksid block.

[ August 14, 2012, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: 1BAD SVT ]

--------------------
96 MysticSnake
01 Saleen Rip
GMxSmoker

1BAD SVT
¯
Member # 10456

quote:
Originally posted by 86redGT:
I have a complete engine i will be pulling this weekend if you are interested. The bottom end was rebuilt 50k miles ago. The valve seals are going bad but what 32 valves seals arent. let me know if you are interested. Its a 96 teksid block.

Is that motor from the 96 cobra on yur sig? And does it got forged internals since yu ran a sc on it? And pm on price for it

--------------------
96 MysticSnake
01 Saleen Rip
GMxSmoker

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com