Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1.7 rrs f cam 289 heads ptv clearance

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1.7 rrs f cam 289 heads ptv clearance
LO925
¯
Member # 12113

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for LO925  Ford pictures for LO925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just put in my stock block f cam 1.7 rrs n 289 heads with bigger valves and springs i been looking all day i found a couple of ppl they didnt have problems with ptv clearance its all installed ran it today and it ran fine will it ruin my engine or is it fine id hate to take apart this is my first time running a cam or roller rockers need alot of advice alot of ppl seem to say it can but i ran it n some pple say they had no problem ? thanks
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the head casting#? theres alot of 289 heads

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the valves still in all the same spots on those heads. its kinda late to clay them. i gotta buddy that had a x cam with tfs heads on a stock lower roller motor. he beat the crap outta it to for almost a year. he sold it and the next guy blew it up with piston to vavle prob. not sure how or why it worked but it did and then didnt lol.so be carefull of hey guys will this work answers, i personally don't think u will have any prob tho lol. i think the biggest valve u could fit in there is 1.98 or 1.94 i don't remember witch, but that cam is not big, niegther is the valve, and as long as u got ant vavle dish in the head i would think u should be fine unless your heads got milled to the bone.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can check the PTV without pulling the engine all apart, but you're going to need an air compressor, spark plug air hose adapter, valve spring compressor, Crane checker springs and some feeler gauges.

Never rely on asking the Intarwebz if a combo will work. There are so many variables in assembling an engine that the only way to know for sure is to measure everything yourself (or pay someone who knows what they're doing to measure it). Just in your two threads, you have left out so much info that no one would be able to tell you if that combo would work or not.

What casting heads are they? Like triple b said, there's a couple of different castings.
What work has been done? What size valves? Have they been milled? What block are you using? Has it been decked? What pistons are you running? Are you sure you measured for the correct sized pushrods? Is the cam advanced or retarded or installed straight up? What's the compressed thickness of the head gasket? All of this has an effect on PTV clearance.

[ August 06, 2012, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
LO925
¯
Member # 12113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LO925  Ford pictures for LO925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
casting number 289 66 6612. did your friend have 1.7 rr with x cam i got 194 valves i ran it got on it i just hope it dont hit.... how do you check it with all those tools ? that would be hella cool if i knew for sure i dont wanna find out the hard way
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
the valves still in all the same spots on those heads. its kinda late to clay them. i gotta buddy that had a x cam with tfs heads on a stock lower roller motor. he beat the crap outta it to for almost a year. he sold it and the next guy blew it up with piston to vavle prob. not sure how or why it worked but it did and then didnt lol.so be carefull of hey guys will this work answers, i personally don't think u will have any prob tho lol. i think the biggest valve u could fit in there is 1.98 or 1.94 i don't remember witch, but that cam is not big, niegther is the valve, and as long as u got ant vavle dish in the head i would think u should be fine unless your heads got milled to the bone.

this i ran 302 block with f cam and 351 heads that had the 58cc chambers and 1.94 intake 1.5 exhaust #DO0E heads if u look up casting number it will tell u the chamber size too. U had no problems and plenty to go but i ran 1.6 rockers

--------------------
2004 tahoe

LO925
¯
Member # 12113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LO925  Ford pictures for LO925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i looked them up n it said it can be 52.6cc or 55.6cc
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

thats small if u turn it over and it doesnt hit ur good but remember those valves heat up and expand thats what will get u. but why am i misssing something those heads better than gt40p why run those cuz high compression they flow like shit unless u port them and putting a fcam and making it bigger is only adding to ur problem by making them mismatched

[ August 06, 2012, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
2004 tahoe

LO925
¯
Member # 12113

got all the parts cheap n heads been ported good i turned it over n its fine reved it nothing happened i just wanna know if i miss shift will it hit

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com