Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 96 cobra throw out bearing problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 96 cobra throw out bearing problem
colbysvt
¯
Member # 11093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for colbysvt  Ford pictures for colbysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I installed ram hdx clutch steeda quick realease quad and steeda adjustable clutch cable along with new oem shift fork timken t.o.b and pilot bearing after 6k miles the t.o.b. went out so figured it was defected and replaced again after 7k more miles along with a second ram hdx clutch and pressure plate and the t.o.b. has went out again this time after 8k miles. Clutch cable is adjusted perfect and the bearing wasnt resting on fingers of pressure plate also did a mod with spring over cable to make sure it wouldnt rest there. Now that i have installed longtube headers i would rather figure out the problem then just swap in another and be in the same position.any help much appreciated and excuse grammer as this is typed from my phone

--------------------
96 cobra terminator swap in the works
97 taraus SHO daily driver
84 gt needs some resto
Nothing like that blower whine.........

Posts: 253 | From: modesto/tracy | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
mkhan2001
¯
Member # 11925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkhan2001  Ford pictures for mkhan2001    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a same problem bro but i got spec stage3 clutch and my padel is really stiff getting tired of it thinking about going back with stock clutch or stock pressure plate

--------------------
99 cobra with termi swap

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i could possibly be wrong, but i believe ive seen a similar situation where the input shaft bearing retainer was the issue, its the sleeve that the tob and clutch fork slide over and moves back n forth along to dis/engauge the clutch , when u get the tranny pulled check and see if its worn, grooved, cracked, bent, ect. any of those situations could cause etra friction, misalignment, constant pressure, leading to premature wear, i believe that the shaft comes out by just pullin the bolts on the inside of the bellhousing where the shaft meets the tranny, u cant miss em, fuck i feel your pain havin to pull that tranny so many times i loathe re-re-re-pullin somethin like a tranny, the frustration is incredeible, oh if u do have to replace the shaft, i beliveve 4 cyl stangs have dif tranny but same shaft, but re-check my knowledge before committing jus to be sure, and last but not least pulling the shaft will not misalign , shift, or move any internal parts or hurt tranny, i only say because when i pulled my first i wasstarin into the tranny goin shit, i hope no pins or clips or anything was held in, good luck!! [Wink]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com