Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wiring dual electric fans?86 GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: wiring dual electric fans?86 GT
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need help wiring these dual electric fans in to a 86 mustang GT.I've never done this before.Anyone can help?Diagrams,Videos,Write up?not sure on the brand of fans.thanks in advanced.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
87 thunderbird turbo coupe-sold
86 mustang GT hatch-sold-kinda
86 mustang coupe-sold

Posts: 1062 | From: san leandro | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most of the fan controlers will come with installation instructions. I would recommend a staggered fan activation switch. That way it doesnt hit your charging system with allot of current.
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93 twintrbo:
Most of the fan controlers will come with installation instructions. I would recommend a staggered fan activation switch. That way it doesnt hit your charging system with allot of current.

OK,I'll check that out.From what I've seen a probe has to be installed in the radiator?How should I go about that?

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Simple and effective. Been wired like this for 2 years and no blown fuses, no hot wires and only draws 38 amps when theyre both on full power (contour fans). I used a torqflo adjustable temp. unit. Great setup

Edit: i forgot to add on the diagram the 3A fuse i put on the 16 guage trigger wire to the relay
 -

[ July 20, 2012, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: SydewayzStan ]

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
Originally posted by SydewayzStan:
Simple and effective. Been wired like this for 2 years and no blown fuses, no hot wires and only draws 38 amps when theyre both on full power (contour fans). I used a torqflo adjustable temp. unit. Great setup

Edit: i forgot to add on the diagram the 3A fuse i put on the 16 guage trigger wire to the relay
 -

Probably a dumb question but the arrows are existing harness from car?EDIT.Also where did you get your controller?

[ July 20, 2012, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: 510.86.notch ]

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Grounds phil

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:
Grounds phil

OK,damn I've been smoking a little to much this morning.Plus you know I'm not to good with this wiring stuff.One of your guys where you work had to show and draw some stuff up for my compressor for me.I did it tho and its still working.Any other help is greatly appreciated.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 510.86.notch:
quote:

-

Probably a dumb question but the arrows are existing harness from car?EDIT.Also where did you get your controller?
yes the arrows are grounds and i got the controller from autozone for $18.99 and the 40A relay for $6

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
quote:
quote:

-

yes the arrows are grounds and i got the controller from autozone for $18.99 and the 40A relay for $6
I went to auto zone they were no help.can you get part numbers?thanks for all the help.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

this is the same one, but it looks like the brand changed for whatever reason, but its the same part# as mine
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Cooling-Fan-Control/1997-Buick-Lesabre/_/N-j8ipmZ91she?itemIdentifier=267187_69565_0_

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
this is the same one, but it looks like the brand changed for whatever reason, but its the same part# as mine
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Compressor-Works-Cooling-Fan-Control/1997-Buick-Lesabre/_/N-j8ipmZ91she?itemIdentifier=267187_69565_0_

Where does the probe on the controller go?

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
quote:

Where does the probe on the controller go?
I found out through trial and error that the most effective place is about two inches right and 2 inches down from the upper radiator hose

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the dual fans that most customers come in with.....it seems you guys mostly prefer the Sn95 fans etc. I have yet to see one wired properly safely.

In best scenario its recommended to use a 30amp fuse & capable relay for "each" fan.
This will eliminate the heavy amperage draw each fan will have on your electrical system and any electrical connectors. A risk of electrical fire is not worth cutting corners!!!!!!!! [patriot]
be careful; take the time and do it rite.

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com