Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Twin turbos t3-t4 carb or efi?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Twin turbos t3-t4 carb or efi?
Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svt Tony  Ford pictures for Svt Tony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend has a 88 gt wants to install 2 t3-t4 turbos (he said thats what they re called) and wants to know if carburator or efi? What wd give him more power? If carb what type of carb to use? N e thing special for turbos?

--------------------
" u wanna play u gatta pay "

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm guessing garret t3t4 turbos? I'd most definitely go efi. The fine tuning you can do with it is ridiculous. .he should invest in atleast a boss block. There one on here for 1400. So boss block pretty much arp everything lower compression (dished pistons file fit rings) good flowing heads something around afr trick flows or something like those maybe a massaged Holley systemax and fully upgraded fuel system

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like he should be doing a lot more research before starting...
but stay FI, and a lot is needed to have a proper turbo set up

--------------------
91' Notch

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if he was to go carb'd. he would need a blow thru carb. but personally, id go efi.

and t3/t4 turbo means t3 turbine and a t4 compressor, if anyone wanted to know..

[ June 13, 2012, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: norcalfiddy ]

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svt Tony  Ford pictures for Svt Tony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If he was to go carb which carb should he be using? I think he s got a stock 302 block with some gt40 heads. Im guessin not good solid base to start a turbo project? And if he goes efi he will need to upgrade his whole fuel del system? And his bottom wnd and top end? Im not liming this but n e imput u guys can give me is appreciated!!!

--------------------

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you just want to throw 2 turbos on it you can run low boost and hope for the best but get that fuel system going

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 209 FIVE.O:
If he was to go carb which carb should he be using? I think he s got a stock 302 block with some gt40 heads. Im guessin not good solid base to start a turbo project? And if he goes efi he will need to upgrade his whole fuel del system? And his bottom wnd and top end? Im not liming this but n e imput u guys can give me is appreciated!!!

any blow thru style carb. depending on size on how much boost he plans to run.

and efi, yes, you will need atleast a 255 in tank pump, 40 or bigger injectors, FPR and depending on setup, a in line pump as well.

same with carb, a good size in line pump will do the trick.

as for the motor, a stock block and gt40 heads would work, but are limited. people make around 4-500hp on stock blocks with turbos, but it all depends on boost, and how he drives it. and how strong the motor was before.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would recommend EFI. You can get a AEM stand alone ems and run the factory motorcraft distributor and coil. Because of ignition sync issues with the factory pickup you will be limited to around 6500 rpm.

I had plans to run a bone stock 302 and throw a small single turbo on it and see what happends. Plan was a pretty simple but effective combo to make around 600ft tq just after 3k rpm. Shoot me a PM if you would like some suggestions on a simple but effective turbo set up.

Getting great power 1000+whp from a v8 is relatively simple with a proper turbo set up. The problem is that it gets rather expensive to properly put together an engine that can be reliable at that power level year after year. The tune is as if not more critical than the motor build itself. Without a proper tune you will blow the most built engine money can buy while stock ones will live at the same power level for quite some time with a good tune.

Good luck on your quest,

Lawrence

Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

Thanx for the input. He s still goin the direction carbed so with some research and you guys input he ll have enough. I hope lol

--------------------

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have him contact competition carbs in nevada he can set your buddy up with a nice carb. Just got mine back and im loving it.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
Have him contact competition carbs in nevada he can set your buddy up with a nice carb. Just got mine back and im loving it.

Will do thanx.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com