Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Brought it to my trusted shop and They don't know whats going on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Brought it to my trusted shop and They don't know whats going on
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so I was told by the mechanic that he cannot communicate with the PCM. Did anybody have this problem or have any experience with it? I was told It comes down to me getting a 60 pin breakout box I looked it up and it looks like its just getting voltage from each pin. I don't know how to use one of those and are they expensive? My next step is that I'm going to change the engine harness. What do you guys think?
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are you talking about? All I know is that your mechanic said something isn't working. What car are you speaking of what year what engine and tranny also might be helpful to know what PCM we are dealing with. And do you have any mods like a tune?

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea im a tech at a dealer and when you cant communicate with the pcm we have to use the break out box. basically it allows you to read the pcm data streme live thru the pins coming into and out of the pcm. then you can isolate the problem from there. best bet, while expencive is take it to the dealer. they will be able to isolate the problem faster and more effectivly than a small shop that just plain dosent have the resources or equiptment than a dealer does. good luck with whatever problem you have!
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a breakout box for sale if interested.
We no longer work on the older Fords so I have no use for the box.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 2000 ranger would not communicate with the scanner, replaced the blown fuse and voila- scanned no problem. Don't know how long the fuse was blown because no other functions were affected.

Double check your fuses. It could be a really simple fix.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wut phil lsaid!!!!!!
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
wut phil lsaid!!!!!!

+1 What Phildog said!!!!! [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry fellas Its an 88 mustang with an EEC-IV processor I just bought a breakout box, I have an Idea on how to use it but I wouldn't know where to start looking. I know the name of the pin numbers but I dont know what I would know what to expect voltage wise on some pins
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

My original problem is that the PCM would tell the IAC to open up all the way idling at 3g sometimes. When the motor warms up after a short drive I would turn the car off and the engine would flood and the car would be hard to start even though the starter is cranking normally
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you check the voltage to the Iac valve when it acted up? From what I have seen on the ford Iac valves it has a middle range "park" position. The pcm needs to add voltage to the iac valve to "command" it open. If your car is idling at 3k rpm, the Iac would have to be pretty much maxed out voltage wise. Sometimes the iac pintle gets gummed up and sticks. If this were to happen and the PCM wanted to raise the idle to correct for a low idle, it would apply voltage to the iac valve. If it applied enough voltage to overcome the stuck position it then would idle very high.

It is possible that it was sticking at max "step". An stuck open Iac valve can cause hard starting.

Lawrence

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

When it idles that high I unplug the IAC and the RPM drops back down to 600 RPM. That being said it makes sense. My Idle air control is somewhat new but I will take a look at it.
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, the ford Iac valve has a spring inside that will pull the pintle to the base setting.
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

I would think maybe the spring is broken but if it wasnt the car wouldnt idle at 600 when I unplugged it.What kind of reading am I looking for when the IAC is maxxed out?
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i cant remember without looking it up what the iac voltage should be but check it at the break out box when it is doing it. there is a posability that you have a short to power on this pin that is intermitent and that would cause the condition. also the pcm may be commanding the voltage up on the iac because of a input from another sensor such as a maf. or map sensor, shorted tp or coolant temp sensor. all of those are major inputs for the pcm and it will command the output of the iac from there.
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

okay I will start a new thread when I get my breakout box

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com